Tikka M55 .243 T8 mod for sale may split no RFD though sorry

As titled due to not getting out as often as i would like this is in good condition few small marks on the stock shoots very good groups with everything that goes through it. comes with some privi ammo if needed. T8 again is in very good condition, Rifle has very a clean bore. Sorry no pics at present. but will get some sorted also comes complete with leather sling. Any viewing or trial welcome. no time waisters though. Will need to get it proofed before i sell it . Price as follows.

seperate

mod 1/2 unf £150 collected or + RFD costs to you

Gun £320 with 1" optilock ring set up etc.

aprox 40-60 rounds of 100grn ammo

package £440 :blink:

serious offers considered

Edited by mosa

I think your wrong mate!!

This is the excerpt from the firearms law.

24.3 The proving of firearms is governed by the Gun Barrel Proof Acts of 1868, 1950 and 1978. Under these Acts it is:

a) an offence to sell, exchange, expose or keep for sale, or export, or keep for exportation, or to attempt to sell, exchange or export, or to pawn or pledge, or attempt to pawn or pledge, or to take in pawn or pledge, an arm, the barrels of which are not duly proved and marked as proved;

24.7 Schedule 1 of the 1978 Act also provides that barrels bearing duly registered proof marks of a foreign state shall be exempt from the liability to prove. If the barrel is altered by any means except user wear and tear so that it no longer represents the proof to which it would be subject in the official proof house of the state in question, it shall cease to be exempt.

Edited by Billy.

so can a rfd sell you a gun after he has screw cut it? without proofing it?

No, it needs to be sent to the proof house, which explains why an RFD will charge you £100+ to get a rifle cut. If they sell it without proofing it, it's against the law.

I've been wanting to sell one of my rifles for a while now, but I've not, because I need to get it proofed beforehand.

If you turn up at an RFD and get your rifle cut, that's fine. It's still your rifle and it's not being sold.

I think you'll find that 'Billy' is correct.

If you have a gun screwcut, it's okay not to be proofed as long as you hang onto it.

To offer the same gun for sale, it has to be proofed, IMHO.

PESCA

If you turn up at an RFD and get your rifle cut, that's fine. It's still your rifle and it's not being sold. :blink: I bought one from an rfd then he screw cut it for me before i picked it up so is that ok?

If you turn up at an RFD and get your rifle cut, that's fine. It's still your rifle and it's not being sold. :blink: I bought one from an rfd then he screw cut it for me before i picked it up so is that ok?

Yes, that's fine, because you bought an uncut rifle. It was then subsequently cut under your licence. I too have had this done on three of my rifles now, but to sell them, they require proofing.

I say 'require proofing' becuase that's exactly what's written on the Proof House's memoranda on muzzle accessories.

Birmingam Proof House Memoranda

EDIT: Some RFD's will require you to get it proofed, as it may be a risk to their insurance policy.

Edited by Billy.

That's fine, as he screwcut it on your behalf. It was effectively your gun.

He will only have charged the basic fee for screwcutting (I assume) and not the much higher price for screwcutting and proofing. He has no control over proofing fees as they are set by the Proof House.

PESCA

How many shotguns have been sold in this country that have had a couple of inches lobbed off the end after proofing to reduce choke? 100's if not 1000's.

How many rifles have failed proofing after screwcutting? I predict 0%

How many rifles have been sold after screw cutting and not proofed? 100's if not 1000's

How can you ID a rifle that was screw cut in the factory then proofed in the UK?

Edited by markm

Best thing to do is take it to birmingham proofing house and they'll proof it, stamp it and give you a cetificate otherwise your rifle will not be able to sell it or swap it or gift it.

Lee

Details below,

The Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House, Banbury Street, Birmingham B5 5RH, England, Tel. 0121 643 3860, Fax 0121 643 7872

How many shotguns have been sold in this country that have had a couple of inches lobbed off the end after proofing to reduce choke? 100's if not 1000's.

How many rifles have failed proofing after screwcutting? I predict 0%

How many rifles have been sold after screw cutting and not proofed? 100's if not 1000's

How can you ID a rifle that was screw cut in the factory then proofed in the UK?

Yes, all valid and mostly true points.

There's a difference between 'subtly getting away with it' and openly saying you're selling an unproofed firearm (not that the OP realised, so I'm not pointing the finger/blame)

I'm just off to do some drink driving. (see my point?)

Edited by Billy.

Unless by screwcutting, he hasnt weakened the barrel. Then he wouldnt need a reproof.

Its a very grey area

I think this bit is the problem with screwcutting and reproofing, vague firearms legislation, now fancy that, the UK firearms legislation being difficult to interpret!!!

Well im in the "sell it locally and you should be ok "camp

I dont see a problem with it.....

And actually you could sell the rest of the kit and give the new owner a FREE rifle.....(providing he has a slot on his cert)

there is no law to say you cant give away an unproofed rifle

shaun

As an addage, i bought a sako quad (standard), it had no proof marks at all, i had it chopped and reproofed and it came back covered in proof marks

Mosa, it cost me just over £30 to get it reproofed at Weldon

Edited by shaun4860

mod 1/2 unf £150

1" optilock ring set up etc.

aprox 40-60 rounds of 100grn ammo

package £440

serious offers considered

Comes with a free Tikka M55 in .243.

I can also confirm the accuracy of this FREE rifle, it actually improves your shooting as mosa cannot shoot such good groups.