Next question?

BountyHunter

Hello again,

One of these days I will have some useful advice to give rather than being on the receiving end all of the time...

Looking at breeders now, we have decided to go for the Lab for a number of reasons including the fact that the wife prefers the "look" of them :) which is all part of my permission to get one and as there seems to be little working difference between the Lab and the Springer and I always wanted a Lab as a boy.

Anyway, I have notived that some breeders advertise that they don't breed chocolate Labs, is there a reason for this other than vanity? Personaly I will be looking at working parets and good hip/eye scores not the colour but is there a good reason for avoiding the choco flavour ones?

BH

My last two chocolates, both fabulous field dogs lived to be 15 and 16 years old. My current is 5. The old boys both still hunted right till the end and were in the field for a hunt within a week of the time they died.

If you have a choclate pup born to working lines it will work just as well as a black or yellow, the only differance is in the colour. Just so you know you can get all three colours in the same litter.

When you start looking at pups you will know what pup is wright for you.

NTTF

What is the consensus on buying a fully or part trained dog? Does anybody know the kind of money we'd be talking? Does training the dog yourself help with the communication / relationship thing?

I am kind of torn between my love of trying to learn new skills and have new experiences and the fact that I haven't tried training a dog apart from basic obedience. (I have the wife to help with that - she did a good job on me... heel? yes just coming dear...)

BH

Bountyhunter

I wanted a chocolate lab but got a black one in the end. My girlfriend is a vet and it seems they see a lot more chocolate ones with joint trouble than black or yellow 4 some reason?

This could be just down to how hard you work them when their young. Labs very prone to elbow displasier. Shouldnt do to much at an early age.

Or could just be more people have chocolate ones as pets and feed them to much, dont get worked and carry more weight through their lives resulting in joint trouble later in life.

My lab is 19months now and he's kept very lean, and it will stay that way. Labs are greedy **** and will eat all day given the chance!!

Trianing side i just bought a few books on how to and did it myself. If you get one from a good working line its in them anyway. You've just got to get it to do what its told :):P:lol:

well, i dont have a lab but i do have newfoundlands. and i know for a fact with newfs, the white and black landseers are more scatty and a bit daft, browns are more stubborn and blacks are more level headed. i know labs are related to newfs somewhere down the line (stands to reason being they are named after neighbouring states in canada), so im wondering if there are similarities in coat influencing behaviour characteristics.

however i appreciate its a generalisation.

blacks and yellows are genetically dominant over browns although it is true, you can get all three colours in the same litter. it may just be that less browns are produced, or simple colour prejudice?

just glad to hear ur doing ur homework and concentrating on the health lines (as well as the working capabilities), hips and hearts etc.

Plain simple reason that chocolates are not too popular in this country (UK) is that our show breeding friends got to like them too much. There are very few good working chocies available although they are becoming more popular.

The evidence for this is that until very recently no chocolates have acheived field trial awards. 2 well known field trialers are suporting and campaining their dogs so hopefully we will see more and if you PM me I can give you details.

had two chocalate labs both great working dogs but seem to put on alot of weight after about 4 years?

also both died a an early age 6-7 years

The chocolate is meant to be the colour not what you feed them on, no wonder they put on so much weight :lol::D

chocolate

do you no that a mar,s bar can kill a dog ?

chocolate is a big no no :/ :( :(