Fixed P.A. Scope

I'm thinking of changing the scope on my .308 as it's a paralax adjustable one. I've never been a fan of these scopes, and would like to change it for a fixed one.

I'm looking for something like a 3-9x50 or 4-12x50. The rifle will be used for the occasional deer, but more than likely will be used for fox.

I don't want to spend a fortune on another scope, that will be used very rarely, but obviously want one that will stand up to the recoil of a .308 (I have a moderator fitted)

Any idea's as to what I could put on it? I know there are many good reasonably priced scopes out there, but it would be good to get someone else's opinion.

Cheers

Steve.

I don't know how much you wish to spend but if it was me I would seriously consider the Bushnell 4200 3 - 9 x 40, if bought in the States can be had for around $300 which is fantastic value.

I know its not a 50 bell but the scope is good quality and I doubt you would notice the difference. Bushnell state the scope has been tested on .375 HH.

I don't know how much you wish to spend but if it was me I would seriously consider the Bushnell 4200 3 - 9 x 40, if bought in the States can be had for around $300 which is fantastic value.

I know its not a 50 bell but the scope is good quality and I doubt you would notice the difference. Bushnell state the scope has been tested on .375 HH.

Thanks mate. I have a Bushnell on it now, and agree that it's a good make. I just wish it was paralax free. I used to have a Hawke Endurance 30mm scope on my 22-250, which was excellent. I only sold it to purchase a 'better' more expensive scope (KAHLES) As you have said, there probalbly won't be a lot of difefrence between the 40mm and 50mm objective end.

I'll look at the Bushnell range and check them out.

Cheers

Steve.

Steve,if you are shooting into dusk or lamping with a red filter you wont believe how much difference the size of objective makes,my friend who shoots with me at least twice a week has a 3x 12 x40Ziess and is continually complaining that he cant see clearly when I'm on a fox or saying its time to get the light out!!!

I have a 8 x56 Schmidt on my 223 and a 3x 12 x56 on my 270 and have no problems with clarity at low light or under the red light.Believe me if you drop to a 40 mm objective from a 56 you will regret it.

Where clarity is concerned I believe bigger is definately better,there are several sites selling secondhand Schmidts so dont buy a cheaper scope and end up paaying twice for what is better suited to you needs,I've been there and done that and its the more expensive route in the end.

You owe it to yourself and prey to be able to see clearly.

Keith

the quality of glass is the defining factor for low light and clarity of image.

a 50mm objective does not gather more light to your eye than a 40mm.it is the the exit pupil and the light tramsmission quality of the glass that determines

low light visibility.the exit pupil should be as large as the human eye under the same conditions.the exit pupil is calculated by dividing the objective diameter by the magnification.

a 42mm objective set at 6 mag will give you an exit pupil of 7mm the same as an 8x56,which matches the eye and transmits the maximum

light the eye can see.

from LEUPOLD : " the key to a scope providing a bright image to the shooter is not how much light it gathers but how much light it tramsmits.gathers,transmits

whats the difference? quite a lot. first of all,rifle scopes do not gather light they transmit it. yes, large objective scopes allow more light to enter the scope,but that by itself does not guarantee the image will be any brighter than a smaller scopes objective.in other words the better the glass and coatings you get,the better the night hunting....up to a point."

from NIKON : "as far as 30mm v 1" they do not gather or transmit any more light than a 1" scope, but they provide a larger sweet spot to enhance resolution"

the 30mm allows for more elevation and windage adjustment.

:hmm::good:

Edited by harv

before you spend your hard earned money, consider what 'fixed parallax' means in real terms. The manufacturer has decided a specific distance where they are dialing out parallax and fixing the optics in that position. You can accomplish the same by dialing your parallax adjustable scope to a particular setting and leaving it there. Most fixed parallax scopes are set for 100 yards (exceptions for shotgun, rimfire, and close range scopes). So in that case, just set your current scope to 100 yards and be done with it. That's all you're getting by buying a non adjustable parallax scope.

Thanks,

Rick

before you spend your hard earned money, consider what 'fixed parallax' means in real terms. The manufacturer has decided a specific distance where they are dialing out parallax and fixing the optics in that position. You can accomplish the same by dialing your parallax adjustable scope to a particular setting and leaving it there. Most fixed parallax scopes are set for 100 yards (exceptions for shotgun, rimfire, and close range scopes). So in that case, just set your current scope to 100 yards and be done with it. That's all you're getting by buying a non adjustable parallax scope.

Thanks,

Rick

Good point there Rick. :good: