crow advice

bullet1747

That's very good advice,I too have an ongoing crow problem, u need a combination of staying well hidden,lots of decoys,flappers, poles are good to but decoys are essential,I put out a dead rabbit too. Cut open with decoys lookin like their tucking in. Calls I've had varied success with. But the main thing is to stay camed right up,when they see ure bright face their gone,keep face and hands covered too.good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Get yourself a Primos Power crow call, they are brilliant for attracting the crows if used properly.

Another vote from me for the Primos Crow Caller! I have just started to use this to attract crows to my decoys and I am amazed at just how effective it is. I have attracted crows from over 400 yards away when the wind is favourable or on a still day. I have discovered that if I leave a couple of obviously dead crows in the decoy pattern, it really brings the crows in very close and they seem oblivious to me in my fairly basic hide. I got 20 crows yesterday and would have got many more if I didn't have to keep stopping to let the farm workers shift the bales of the stubble field that I was shooting over!

Chris

Another vote from me for the Primos Crow Caller! I have just started to use this to attract crows to my decoys and I am amazed at just how effective it is. I have attracted crows from over 400 yards away when the wind is favourable or on a still day. I have discovered that if I leave a couple of obviously dead crows in the decoy pattern, it really brings the crows in very close and they seem oblivious to me in my fairly basic hide. I got 20 crows yesterday and would have got many more if I didn't have to keep stopping to let the farm workers shift the bales of the stubble field that I was shooting over!

Chris

I always use the dead crows to good effect by placing them in the pattern. I insert a thin bamboo cane from their 'back end' into the head and just fix it into the ground.

Another brilliant bit of kit is a flapper. I have one coneected to an intermittent timer. It flaps for around 30 seconds, goes off for about 5 seconds, then back on again. I have found that by using this, the decoys and Primos caller, the crows come in brilliantly. My biggest ever bag was 128 crows/jackdaws in less that 3 hours. I hope to beat that one day! :good:

Steve.

I always use the dead crows to good effect by placing them in the pattern. I insert a thin bamboo cane from their 'back end' into the head and just fix it into the ground.

Another brilliant bit of kit is a flapper. I have one coneected to an intermittent timer. It flaps for around 30 seconds, goes off for about 5 seconds, then back on again. I have found that by useing this, the decoys and Primos caller, the crows come in brilliantly. My biggest ever bag was 128 crows/jackdaws in less that 3 hours. I hope to beat that one day! :good:

Steve.

wot do you do with that many

one on the bouncer about 10mtrs away from the main area. put any shot onto cradles and let there wings drop. a flapper works as well. a ( shape works fine but dont space out the birds as far as you would with pigeons. i do use a call but for rooks, i find the crows come in once that see the pattern.

Phil

one on the bouncer about 10mtrs away from the main area. put any shot onto cradles and let there wings drop. a flapper works as well. a ( shape works fine but dont space out the birds as far as you would with pigeons. i do use a call but for rooks, i find the crows come in once that see the pattern.

Phil

thats were im going wrong with the pigeons then decoys to close :good:

wot do you do with that many

Normally throw most of them in a ditch. I keep about 10 and freeze them to be used on my next outing. These are then discarded and replaced with freshly shot ones. I've recently found out that a bird santuary near to where I live, will take any crows/jackdaws to feed their birds of prey etc, so I'll keep a load for them.

Normally throw most of them in a ditch. I keep about 10 and freeze them to be used on my next outing. These are then discarded and replaced with freshly shot ones. I've recently found out that a bird santuary near to where I live, will take any crows/jackdaws to feed their birds of prey etc, so I'll keep a load for them.

That's good of you steve you're clearing up and helping 3 people,the famer the sanctuary and you're sense of being,well done. Do they have many birds of prey or do displays? I've always been mesmerised by them and looked into keeping one but many licenses and lots of time needed,and ide need to learn loads from someone before I could go ahead with my own bird. Anyhow good on u.

I started with just 3 flocked decoys yesterday and just left dead birds where they dropped (moving far out ones closer if I got out of the hide). Used a primes power crow call to entice them in. They're very good on jackdaws if you bite the tip and release when you blow.

I started with just 3 flocked decoys yesterday and just left dead birds where they dropped (moving far out ones closer if I got out of the hide). Used a primes power crow call to entice them in. They're very good on jackdaws if you bite the tip and release when you blow.

can women do that :good::lol::good:

looking to go out tomoz just seen about 500 crows on field (prob not there tomoz ) if they are any tips ive never been able to get close :hmm::P

The best advice i was toughed when it comes to crows is to spend a good half hour making a good hide the more natural the better, cover up your face and hands and keep still until they are hovering over the decoys because they have unreal eyesight and are wary as hell! Then a dozen flocked full body decoys and an electric crow call is a good start and prop them out as you drop them the younger ones are a bit more easier to fool. Make sure you use decent cartridge too i use 32g of 6s because they take some hitting.

Hope that helps and good luck! :blink: :stupid: