Pigeons on Saturday

AlistairB

The wife is away at the moment, so I’ve got some time on my hands.

Texted Terry (Bakerboy) to see if anyone was going to Wobbly Bottom farm on Saturday. No one else was going so I popped down. Got there about 10am and set up by the old trailer facing the dung heap. I set 3 decoys on top of the heap and 3 to the right hand side.

The birds were intermittent but it was nice to sit and watch the rain come sweeping across the valley. I was struggling with the birds going down my right hand side until I realized that when I got up to shoot, my feet were still facing forward and I was twisting so I fixed that!

At one point I was looking to my right and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a movement on top of the heap - I thought a pigeon might have landed on it so I slowly turned to look to my left to find 3 young goats stood there - one of them giving a decoy a very quizzical look!

It all went a bit quiet when the buzzard that had been 4 or 5 fields away started making its way over, but he soon carried on his way.

Anyway, shot 25, but only picked 22, then sold them all to a local game dealer! All in all, a lovely way to spend a Saturday morning - thanks Terry!

Cheers

AB

post-22713-1281260494.jpg

The wife is away at the moment, so I’ve got some time on my hands.

Texted Terry (Bakerboy) to see if anyone was going to Wobbly Bottom farm on Saturday. No one else was going so I popped down. Got there about 10am and set up by the old trailer facing the dung heap. I set 3 decoys on top of the heap and 3 to the right hand side.

The birds were intermittent but it was nice to sit and watch the rain come sweeping across the valley. I was struggling with the birds going down my right hand side until I realized that when I got up to shoot, my feet were still facing forward and I was twisting so I fixed that!

At one point I was looking to my right and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a movement on top of the heap - I thought a pigeon might have landed on it so I slowly turned to look to my left to find 3 young goats stood there - one of them giving a decoy a very quizzical look!

It all went a bit quiet when the buzzard that had been 4 or 5 fields away started making its way over, but he soon carried on his way.

Anyway, shot 25, but only picked 22, then sold them all to a local game dealer! All in all, a lovely way to spend a Saturday morning - thanks Terry!

Cheers

well done mate had some great days on muck heap but its now gon on the stubble but pigeons are plenty.

AB

nice shooting shame about the game dealer.

one dealer here gives 24p/25p and another gives 28/30p frozen/fresh bit of a drive but it pays the 2:1 cart bird ratio.

Phil

Yep, 15p doesnt even cover the cart cost for the ones i hit, let alone the misses. He doesnt give me money, he puts it agaist the stuff i buy from him so we're both happy! At the end of the day, i'm getting something back for something i'd happily do for nothing so all's fair....

Yep, 15p doesnt even cover the cart cost for the ones i hit, let alone the misses. He doesnt give me money, he puts it agaist the stuff i buy from him so we're both happy! At the end of the day, i'm getting something back for something i'd happily do for nothing so all's fair....

Thats a :blush: good morning shooting, I get 30p from a local hotel

bakerboy