Non toxic

I'm looking into reloading for the 10 bore and just had a few questions. I can use lead inland so that's half the battle but if I wanted to shoot steel through the gun I'd probably have to open it up to half choke. Do you need to open the chokes up with tungsten or bismuth? How does tungsten and bismuth preform aswell? And how expensive are they? I've heard bismuth breaks up a bit when you hit the bird which is far from ideal :good:

Any thoughts are appreciated :no:

Hi,

I am not sure if you have to have the chokes opened out for Bismuth or tungsten but it wouldn't be a bad idea if using tungsten it is harder than steel after all.

I have never had any success with bismuth, I used it in the early days of the lead ban and you could see it hit birds and they would carry on. There was a rumour that it splintered on firing and went out as dust. Whether that is true or not I don't know.

I do know of two people who use it as large shot in punt guns with reasonable success.

I have fairly good success with decent steel cartridges such as Remington Nitro Steel so find there is no need for the dearer stuff.

Hi,

I am not sure if you have to have the chokes opened out for Bismuth or tungsten but it wouldn't be a bad idea if using tungsten it is harder than steel after all.

I have never had any success with bismuth, I used it in the early days of the lead ban and you could see it hit birds and they would carry on. There was a rumour that it splintered on firing and went out as dust. Whether that is true or not I don't know.

I do know of two people who use it as large shot in punt guns with reasonable success.

I have fairly good success with decent steel cartridges such as Remington Nitro Steel so find there is no need for the dearer stuff.

Just as a matter of interest. I`m assuming your talking about Tungsten being in it Matrix form (i.e ITM or what ever you wish to call it).

In that case, when tungsten is in its matirx with a polymer I would think it will be SOFTER than steel, otherwise why is it acceptable to use in older guns that can`t handle steel shot???

I'm looking into reloading for the 10 bore and just had a few questions. I can use lead inland so that's half the battle but if I wanted to shoot steel through the gun I'd probably have to open it up to half choke. Do you need to open the chokes up with tungsten or bismuth? How does tungsten and bismuth preform aswell? And how expensive are they? I've heard bismuth breaks up a bit when you hit the bird which is far from ideal :good:

Any thoughts are appreciated :no:

Are you bothered about the percieved negative effects of opening up the choke? Personally i shouldn't be, i used to hold true to the old thoughts on choke but shoot most things using improved now. What convinced me was pattening individual shells through different chokes i could get more effect on pattens through changing the shells than i could changing the choke.

Guest cookoff013

you are best to use tmx, itx, or powershot.

aslong as its a sintered shot product, it will be choke friendly.

all of which will bring a 10gauge a really effective tool.

-i wouldnt try bismuth if i were you. it is not "great"

Hi,

That more or less backs up what I have heard about bismuth. I think I'll give it a miss and either go for the Tungsten or the steel. What is the largest shot size you can buy for steel anyway? I would want something that would give me at least the equivelant of a lead three. Do they produce steel in a size larger than 1's?

Just as a matter of interest. I`m assuming your talking about Tungsten being in it Matrix form (i.e ITM or what ever you wish to call it).

In that case, when tungsten is in its matirx with a polymer I would think it will be SOFTER than steel, otherwise why is it acceptable to use in older guns that can`t handle steel shot???

As you have probably realised I don't know much about the non-lead alternatives,(apart from steel) so I'm guessing it is the Matrix form I am talking about :blink:

Are you bothered about the percieved negative effects of opening up the choke?

I would be if it affected my range....but I normally shoot with a 12 bore with cylinder and improved cylinder chokes with no problems so if I went to 1/2 choke it shouldn't really be a problem. I suppose if you get hit with a size one shot at a fair distance up it will still pack quite a punch!

you are best to use tmx, itx, or powershot.

aslong as its a sintered shot product, it will be choke friendly.

all of which will bring a 10gauge a really effective tool.

So if I used the tmx in full choke I would be ok?What exactly is a "sintered shot product"? How does the tungsten compare with lead anyway? Do you still have to go a couple of shot sizes bigger? I'm guessing the tmx is fairly expensive?

Sorry about the 20 questions! All the input is really appreciated btw :o

Try actually shooting non toxic through different chokes it makes little if any difference. Choke is perhaps still as relivent today as it ever was using felt wad, but through plasic shot cups it seemed to bear little relivence if any at all when i was paterning. Interesting when shot at short range the shot cup will punch through hardboard no issue talking up to 15-20yds so it must stll contain a fair amount of the load at this range. Seriously you should get more effect changing shells than choke, try it for youself and see

Guest cookoff013

sintered product is powdered tungsten, mixed with a resin and cast and hardened in a ball shape.

the product is like shot made with glue and metal powder. thats the matrix bit.

-they are dense,

-soft

-expensive !

-choke friendly !

check out

itm

itx

nice shot

to name but a few.

Edited by cookoff013

power shot is the dogs! denser than lead but it is harder than your gun barrel great long range patterns out of a 10g

this is a 11/4oz of 3mm power shot at 40yds 176 hits in a 30" circle great pattern this load will kill duck beyond the limit of my marksmanshippost-21002-1281641616.jpg

the next load is an ITX 4.6mm -46grams again at 40 yds 82 hits /104 this will be my canada goose load all shot through a gold ten with a 705 terror choke

ITX is not as dense as lead but is softer and choke friendly the down side is they all cost :rolleyes:

Thanks guys :rolleyes: I will look at the ITX and the power shot. Really if I'm using the 10 it will be for geese. I'll take a duck with it if I see one, (and can get the swing going in time :good: ) but really it is a heavy load i'm looking into.

uk fowler I'm surprised your not firing a much heavier load than 46 grams? Most people shoot that through a 12!

Thanks again for the help!

Guest cookoff013

with the dense stuff you can drop down a shotsize or two, this will keep up the pellet count.

it still has a better BC than lead (if its denser!)

there is a shot called tungsten super shot. it is the hardest shot out there. it is so ballisticly superiour!

they are shooting through sheet steel at 100yards with #5 shot. that performance is amazing.

but at $5 a shot. it `d have to be amazing.

Thanks guys :crazy: I will look at the ITX and the power shot. Really if I'm using the 10 it will be for geese. I'll take a duck with it if I see one, (and can get the swing going in time ;) ) but really it is a heavy load i'm looking into.

uk fowler I'm surprised your not firing a much heavier load than 46 grams? Most people shoot that through a 12

Yes, but many shoot 12 bore loads through 20's also. 46 through a ten will beat 46 through a 12 generally, proof of the pudding is as always on the plate though everything else is just theory.

Thanks guys :crazy: I will look at the ITX and the power shot. Really if I'm using the 10 it will be for geese. I'll take a duck with it if I see one, (and can get the swing going in time ;) ) but really it is a heavy load i'm looking into.

uk fowler I'm surprised your not firing a much heavier load than 46 grams? Most people shoot that through a 12!

I think uk fowler will be putting in alot more powder in and dropping the shot charge for a higher velocity round that what us wildfowlers like!!

Guest cookoff013
I think uk fowler will be putting in alot more powder in and dropping the shot charge for a higher velocity round that what us wildfowlers like!!

not with soft shot !

just stick to the proven recipes.

cz it is more about getting a balanced load not just shuving as much shot up the barrel as you can if you look at the pattern more closely you will see it is center dense, at 50yds im still getting 75 hits which is more than enough for the fat trent valley canadas this load is doing 1360fps and at 45yds side on goes clean through what more can you ask.as for the 10g /12g thing gram for gram the 10g does it faster with less pressure plus my gold light only weighes in at 9lbso its down to balance again but this time recoil there is no use having 3 shots if the first one puts you on your ****

pinks are a smaller bird so need more hits in your pattern so itx 2# or power shot in 3.5mm maye be the most uses to you

all the best pm any time

Thanks again for all the help...all really usefull!

So if I was wanting a grey/pink load you'd recommend ITX? And what size of shot? Im 90% sure my gun is full choke but need to get it checked. A friend has all the reloading gear so hopefully if I buy the ingredients he will let me borrow his reloading stuff. Also, what powders/primers/wads ect do you guys use?

Or even a proper load data would be fantastic :blush:

Really just starting to get into this but hopefully I will be sorted for the 1st :oops:

That super shot looks the stuff but does anyone actually use it? I imagine it costs a fortune!!

• 1 year later...

power shot is the dogs! denser than lead but it is harder than your gun barrel great long range patterns out of a 10g

this is a 11/4oz of 3mm power shot at 40yds 176 hits in a 30" circle great pattern this load will kill duck beyond the limit of my marksmanshippost-21002-1281641616.jpg

the next load is an ITX 4.6mm -46grams again at 40 yds 82 hits /104 this will be my canada goose load all shot through a gold ten with a 705 terror choke

ITX is not as dense as lead but is softer and choke friendly the down side is they all cost :rolleyes:

Graham check post nine the pic is of 4.6mm ITX 46grams with 381 powder

Edited by UK fowler

Graham check post nine the pic is of 4.6mm ITX 46grams with 381 powder

Mmmm a nice pattern - very similar to the bluedot 12g pattern with 1 1/4 but obviously more pellets!!

I have loaded up a 42g 12g 3 1/2" to try at the weekend (Longshot powder) along with the 1 3/8oz loads - if I can't get anything good with them then I will load the ITX BB into 10g - what wads were you using? TPS or MM?

Regards

Graham

Mmmm a nice pattern - very similar to the bluedot 12g pattern with 1 1/4 but obviously more pellets!!

I have loaded up a 42g 12g 3 1/2" to try at the weekend (Longshot powder) along with the 1 3/8oz loads - if I can't get anything good with them then I will load the ITX BB into 10g - what wads were you using? TPS or MM?

Regards

Graham

TPS wads and 47 buffer . the buffer helps alot with itx . Iv used that load-42gram in a 31/2" longshot powder with2#shot worked well you may get some joy with that one :good: