clay shooting books

gwb

I've read Dan Schindler's books, "Take Your Best Shot" and "To the Target"

The're quite easy to follow but very American :good::yes::oops:

As coaching books go, they're good, probably the best. Very hard to get hold of and very expensive for what they are (squidgy little spiral bound booklets).

Unfortunately for me, I don't seem to respond well to that form of tutoring. I read it all, tell myself I'm going to do it and when I get out on the clay course, none of it even enters my head :yes:

The worst ones for me are these mental management books by Lanny Bassham :hmm: Again, dreadfully American and I sure it worked for him and others. But if I can't help thinking that if it's as easy as telling yourself you're the best clay shot in the country and you're going to win everything in sight, you must be very gullible :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind over matter is OK. I understand the concept of "being positive" but some people are more receptive to lies than others :P;):P

Edited by Chard

I've read Dan Schindler's books, "Take Your Best Shot" and "To the Target"

The're quite easy to follow but very American :hmm: :hmm: :lol:

As coaching books go, they're good, probably the best. Very hard to get hold of and very expensive for what they are (squidgy little spiral bound booklets).

Unfortunately for me, I don't seem to respond well to that form of tutoring. I read it all, tell myself I'm going to do it and when I get out on the clay course, none of it even enters my head :lol:

The worst ones for me are these mental management books by Lanny Bassham :lol: Again, dreadfully American and I sure it worked for him and others. But if I can't help thinking that if it's as easy as telling yourself you're the best clay shot in the country and you're going to win everything in sight, you must be very gullible :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind over matter is OK. I understand the concept of "being positive" but some people are more receptive to lies than others :P:lol::P

Thanks for the reply

i have been looking into the osp website and everything seems to make perfect sense however im sure if it was that easy we would all be shooting in the 90s

i have got a feeling that your hand eye coordination must have to be above average

I may just save my money for a lesson

Thanks for the reply

i have been looking into the osp website and everything seems to make perfect sense however im sure if it was that easy we would all be shooting in the 90s

i have got a feeling that your hand eye coordination must have to be above average

I may just save my money for a lesson

You can't beat live coaching with a good coach. The Dan Schindler books were quite good for ramming home the message about pick up points, hold points, where to put your feet etc, but if you're anything like me, it takes a human to nag you into actually doing it all properly :hmm:

Has anyone read the books by Gil and Vicki ash and tried out the osp method

Im looking for some unbiased reviews :hmm:

Yes; I've got, read and re-read "If it ain't broke, fix it" many many times and still find the information within it incredible appropriate and useful. Infact i would go as far as saying it is the best coaching book that i have read.

I've also got the next two books in their series and am currently halfway through "You gotta be out of your mind" and am thoroughly enjoying it thus far.

If you want a lend of "If it ain't broke" then drop me a line and i'll gladly post it down to you for a week or two.

Totally agree with Chard though that as good as these books are you can't beat some practical sessions with a good coach! Well worth the investment of your time and money in my opinion :hmm:

Yes; I've got, read and re-read "If it ain't broke, fix it" many many times and still find the information within it incredible appropriate and useful. Infact i would go as far as saying it is the best coaching book that i have read.

I've also got the next two books in their series and am currently halfway through "You gotta be out of your mind" and am thoroughly enjoying it thus far.

If you want a lend of "If it ain't broke" then drop me a line and i'll gladly post it down to you for a week or two.

Totally agree with Chard though that as good as these books are you can't beat some practical sessions with a good coach! Well worth the investment of your time and money in my opinion :hmm:

thanks for the offer, Ive put the on xmas list. In the meantime Ive just booked a day with Carl Bloxham :hmm:

John Bidwell's DVD 'Move, Mount, Shoot' is the most useful learning aid I've found in the last two years - and some of it works - even for a pleb like me!

Ive got that one, and im hoping to stay at high lodge next year for a short break.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan Schindler is a very fine coach. I have just returned from assisting him at his school Paragon Shooting School in North Carolina. Dan is the thinking mans coach. Not only does he get you breaking clays, he identifies why you are missing and then mends you. But of course we have many fine coaches here in Britain, Berettaman being just one of them. Peter Blakeley has written a very good book Successful Shotgunning which is well worth a read but his second book is not very good (In my opinion!)

Gil & Vicki Ash are very shrewd turning out a mass of information in books, DVD's, Lessons and newsletters. If people pay for them good luck to them.

You will learn far more by paying for a half day with one of the top British Coaches/Shots such as Biddy, Cleggy, Carl Bloxham, Brian Hebditch or Phil Thorrold. But remember they can identify what you are doing wrong and correct you but it is only on that day, YOU have to develop the consistency and build up the target memory bank. No book or video gives you the true lead pictures or the method.

• 2 weeks later...
Ive got that one, and im hoping to stay at high lodge next year for a short break.

Do it. I have had 2 shooting breaks at High Lodge and they have been great. Found the people working there very friendly and helpful and John Bidwells DVD is good have a look at the outakes good for a giggle