Never in the field of human conflict ........

Supersonic

One of our finest Orators. The current and the previous lot could have learnt a few things from him!

But then I also think Hitler was a fantastic speaker too, not the content, of course but hearing him at some of the rallies make the hairs on your neck stand up.

they played a large chuck of churchills speech on radio 4 this morning. pretty rousing stuff.

of course there were the obligatory comments about how "women" helped out in bomber command and the pilots were only part of the battle.

Yup, only part of the battle :good: ten minutes training,then sent up in a Spitfire or a Hurricane with a life expectancy of 20 minutes.Proper heroes and real men.

I was watching the news on ITV and as they said ' A Spitfire and Hurricane fly over....' passed my bay windows comes 'A Spitfire and Hurricane,' very low and very loud.

Ran outside the house with lots of the neighbours watching the fly boys chase eachother for a fair 5 mins before leaving the area, one of the joys of living close-ish to an airfield in West London!

And you really cant beat the thunder of a Merlin!

Just like this?

I shoot at Nuthampstead regularly which was a USAAF bomber base and is just up the road from Duxford and we often get the Battle of Britain squadron flying over plus other assorted aircraft. It sure is a sound to make your spine tingle.

Edited by philr

A few years ago I was lucky enough to hear Robert Hardy give extracts from Churchill's speeches at a Prom's concert at Castle Howard. As his "Never has so much been owed......." speech tailed away a Spitfire roared in a few feet over the big house chimneys. Now that did make the hairs on my neck stand up! The commentator went on to say how this old plane was very fragile and was only insured for level flight. Meanwhile the pilot was performing victory rolls, loops and even stood it on its tail before falling away into a planned stall. Absolutely brilliant and I'll never forget it.

And you really cant beat the thunder of a Merlin!

Try four of 'em. I was fly-fishing on a boat at Ladybower Reservoir when the Lancaster was practicing the Dambusters flypast. Nearly voided the bilge :good:

Edited by UKPoacher