Road tax hike

Gobfish

Can anybody tell me the threshold date of the vehicle road tax hike. My 4x4 ‘gas guzzler’ is registered in 1998 and isn’t liable for the ridiculous road tax hike (up to £400). I know there is a date somewhere around the 2000 or 2001 mark, after which vehicles of that nature will get hammered, but I need to know when exactly that is, as I need to replace my old jalopy with another old jalopy, and I don't want to pay through the nose for the sake of a year or so. Does anybody know?

Can anybody tell me the threshold date of the vehicle road tax hike. My 4x4 ‘gas guzzler’ is registered in 1998 and isn’t liable for the ridiculous road tax hike (up to £400). I know there is a date somewhere around the 2000 or 2001 mark, after which vehicles of that nature will get hammered, but I need to know when exactly that is, as I need to replace my old jalopy with another old jalopy, and I don't want to pay through the nose for the sake of a year or so. Does anybody know?

We bought a 2005 discovery3 hse, £230 to tax, (cheaper road tax...) if we had bought the 06 reg it would be £400

hope this helps

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ownin...cle/DG_10012524

here it all is 2001 0r 2006 not much difference, unless of course you buy new and pay the new car extortion fee?

KW

excellent link Kdubya..... I reckon I'll buy pre March 2001 and keep welding it up and spannering it, til either it (or I) chucks the towel in completely, many thanks