Unwell springer

henry d

My 11yr old springer bitch has been unwell with the ****s since monday and every morning she has messed the kitchen(she sleeps there).

I went to the vets on tuesday and she gave me antibiotics(tribrissen)and said that instead of not feeding her I should feed carbs such as rice pasta tatties etc.

She is not suffering and seems to be OK otherwise.

Anyone had a dog be ill as long as this? and how did it resolve itself.

Cheers :)

Our chocolate lab was like this about 8 months ago. Couldn't get up and when she did it was a struggle. Runny backside, like water. Went to the vet and she gave us some antibiotics (i think they were the same that you had mentioned)

They didn't seem to help and then all of a sudden 3 days later she was fine. No explanation at all.

I still think to this day she either ate some rat poison on the farm or picked up a rat that had been killed by poison.

Has your dog got access to anything like this that she may have picked up?

My springer had the ****S as well a couple of months ago, for about the same time as yours.

The vet gave him some tblets for it and oput him on some prescription food and after a few days he was as right as rain

Cheers

MC

Henry,

My GSP has just gone through the same thing, he had the squits for about 3 days, but rice and chicken settled him down.

The vet gave also him some tribrissen (not sure why).

Make sure she has plenty of fresh water available so she doesn't get de-hydrated.

Keep on to her Henry,

Had the same prob with my old Lab (14yrs 6mnt). She started with it in Dec. After trips to vet and injection & tablets and on the rice & chicken (left over turkey as well). Got a bit better but came back again and with her Arthritis and beeing unable to get up and out quicky it was getting to be a bit of a mess. We have had her put to sleep this wednesday, along with the fact that the way she was we would be unable to leave her alone in the kennels next week while we are on holiday.

Cheers

Trev

antibiotics take time to work and you should all ways finish the course ..chicking and rice or no food for 24 hours at all is the way to go with plenty of water in its bowl , most dogs pick up food of some sort when out and this is were the problem comes from 99% of the time also drinking dirty water out of puddles ect when out is another way to make your dog ill