electrical problem help req'd

Sauer

hi guys

advice / help needed on electrical fault with my old R reg ford maverick

basically ive replaced the battery 3 months ago.......still was intermittentant with starting so checked out the alternator and it was working but not right and was on its way out so replaced that.

now jeep starts no probs 1st thing in morning then can be fine but then without warning , even after a long run you stop say at a garage .5 mins then jump in and it turns over but as if its half dead and wont fire.......sometimes leave for 10 mins then away again no probs!

its un predicatable ........ive checked new alternator and its fine....charging as should be.

so........

is it ?

1) "lazy " starter? ....not working correctly

2) 3 month old battery is half ******** after using it with dicky alternator for 3 months before i put on new alternator

or another option?:yes:

how do i check the battery to see if its ********?

bear in mind im ok with basic mechanics but electrical stuff is vodoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehehehee

cheers

sauer

Not really sure and am not a good mechanic,but had same sort of problem with my vito in the winter months,charged it every week,put a new battery on it and helped for a little while then it played up again,got real hacked off as if it dont start then i dont earn any money,so i fitted the biggest battery they had £110 :lol: ,that was three years ago and have never had a problem since no matter how cold it gets :yes:

hi guys

advice / help needed on electrical fault with my old R reg ford maverick

basically ive replaced the battery 3 months ago.......still was intermittentant with starting so checked out the alternator and it was working but not right and was on its way out so replaced that.

now jeep starts no probs 1st thing in morning then can be fine but then without warning , even after a long run you stop say at a garage .5 mins then jump in and it turns over but as if its half dead and wont fire.......sometimes leave for 10 mins then away again no probs!

its un predicatable ........ive checked new alternator and its fine....charging as should be.

so........

is it ?

1) "lazy " starter? ....not working correctly

2) 3 month old battery is half ******** after using it with dicky alternator for 3 months before i put on new alternator

or another option?:yes:

how do i check the battery to see if its ********?

bear in mind im ok with basic mechanics but electrical stuff is vodoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

hehehehehee

cheers

sauer

Had a nissan terrano similar to this we tried everything before it went

to the garage, and they unblocked some breather hoses that were causing

the engine to build up compression and struggling to turn over when hot

making it seem like a flat battery,might be worth a try.

on your alternator is it a spade connection or bolt on, mines a spade connection, and sometimes works itself loose (vitara) giving me the same sort of problems, simply wiggling it normally solves the problem

also check your earth lead, both from battery and alternator

• 4 weeks later...

thanks guys for ideas...now sorted

was 2 things really.....

1..4 month old battery had 2 cells gassing so was replaced as it was under a yr old free o charge

2....still had trouble when warm to fire again ,,,but only intermittantly so you never knew when it was gonna do it.....turned out to be lazy starter motor,

replaced and alls well

cheers

sauer