Water/Rain damage to new SV10 Beretta.....! HELP.....

Bigamos

Thanks for the heads up in this, I'll be ordering some Birchwood Casey Stock Wax too, but first can somebody answer a quick query?

Does this just need applying and wiping off? Or does it need curing for a period of time prior to wiping off and does it stay satin? I hate the high gloss finishes

I've used ccl oil on it and it is starting to look better... Will persist with this method each day for the rest of the week.

Sure it'll cone up fine.

Can I put wax over the top of the oil once it has been massaged enough???

Spiderdude,

I too have a lovely new Silver Pigeon and after the advice on my post regarding the keeping of my gun I have now coated it with 3 coates of ccl stockconditioning oil. This has produced lovely results which I highly recommend.

Hope you enjoyed your first shoot with your new gun.

V

If in doubt consult the professionals first, there are many who can help with stocks but I can recommend http://www.####.co.uk/

Have a word with Sage (Dennis), tell him Deker recommended him and he will look after you! He has just worked miracles on my WMR stock.

I suspect the answer will be quite straightforward.

ATB :D

:good::good: yes dennis is a top bloke, and so are the rest of the guys at uk gun repairs, dennis has helped me loads with re doing my stock :good:

• 4 months later...

Bad news mate - I have seen it happen with new Beretta's before. I don't think that the stock is finished off correctly at the factory, all stock finishes should be waterproof from new. I was loading for a gentleman a couple of years back and he was shooting a brand new pair of 687EELL first time out and it rained on us all day and I started to have problems with the top lever opening and closing and that was due to water swelling the stock and by the end of the day through using the gun we had ground a chunk of wood off both the stocks - he took the guns straight back but I was not privvy to the outcome.

Periodically, I all my stocks (which are all oil finish) with a walnut oil which I rub in with my palm to create heat and soak in - you only need a very small amount and a bottle with last years.

Your stock looks great now with the Birchwood casey finishing cream/oil.

well it has come up nicely as the previous post says some light rubbing with a very small amount of walnut oil will do the trick, but make sure the stock is nice and dry and don't let a skin form. If it does just a nice and gentle rub with some wire wool 0000.

I personnally would have taken it back to the gun shop especialy a two day old shotty and let them do it. If it had gone wrong you would have had no chance with the rfd, but saying that he should have oiled the stock before letting you take it away a lot of beretta's come with very little protective coating from the factory my local rfd uses this stuff the day before the shotgun goes out pretty good for off the shelf, but remember less is more this bottle should last you a life time and don't put it on everytime once a month or after a days shooting if the shotty gets wet let it dry out naturally don't lock it in the cabinetas this will causemoisture levels to rise in your cbinet and this is one main cause of swelling and distortion of your wood work not to mention rust on your metal work, just put the barrels away after they have been cleaned and dried, then in the morning a very small amount rubbed between your hands till warn then rub on till you cant even see the oil then put away till next time

Edited by straightshooter1

thats what i used on mine, the water spots are still there slightly but i haven't got it wet since so not sure if its helped

Also i half my bottles life when i knocked it over :blush: Luckily on the laminate floor though

LOL "bet the floor looks good!" the thing with this stuff it wont get rid of the water marks you need to get rid of them first, but this stuff is a good preventative measure Quote "This highly refined, natural walnut oil quickly dries to a clear, hard finish" but doesn't leave a skin or a glossy finish.

Had the same problem on my new Webley and Scott 912k. Got a bit wet last Saturday out. Took it back to the shop and got send back to Webley. Just got a confirmation that they are replacing the whole gun!! :good: Lets hope the wood on the new one is as nice!

• 2 weeks later...