Prices for Pigeons and Bunnies

ellebarto

I leave mine an hour or two and dont get any complaints from friends or the butcher. some guys do gut them in the field though..ideal to get the attention of a charlie at the end of a night! :lol:

Yeah good. Just checking. Ive always done this and as Ive shot clays with this butcher, I kinda leave that part to him. More often than not I'm out in the Freelander and dont really want that kind of hassle in the field!

I do all mine in the feild within 10 minutes and if on grazed ground then within 5 mins !

I find them easyer to to paunch when there warm and before they gas up, I get less nicks of the innards then. Also lighter carrying .

I get £1 for a paunched bunny in the jacket, £1.70 for a paunched skinned ready to go bunny and £0.37p per pigeon .

:lol:

I've always been told you can do it within an hour or two depending on the weather. Would you disagree with that?

Yeah I would agree, very much depending on the temp and where they are shot.

When I say straight away I mean if you shoot them at night they won't be any good run into the butchers the next day

Edited by Elby

game dealer is 28p frozen, 30p fresh for pigeons and £1 for rabbits either way.

i ahve a new buyer that will pay 38p fresh/frozen for pigeons and £2.50 in their jackets for rabbits

£2.50 for bunnies in jackets is really good! lucky to get anywhere near that fully cleaned! nice find..funds the shooting! :hmm:

Rabbits should be paunched as soon as possible if I'm ferreting as soon as we have finnished a burrow/warren I paunch all Rabbits it helps the meat to cool and they are lighter to carry and at the end of the day you are not left with a load to do I mostly shoot with a shotgun and rabbits are paunched as they are shot. Game dealer gives 35p for fresh pigeons but that was his price for rabbits too he gets some pigeons but we keep the rabbits. I was getting £1.50 a rabbit in 1971 some weeks I was doubling my wages selling rabbits :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

In warmer weather I paunch rabbits as soon as I can but only when I get them covered. You must keep flies off and if you are walking around with an open rabbit when the flies are around you be like a walking maggot farm!

In cooler weather I paunch rabbits generally within the hour - and still look to get them somewhere safe (like in a container in a vehicle) ASAP.

I currently getting £1 a (rifle headshot) rabbit in fur to a local butcher/dealer. I manage to sell pigeons to friends and workmates for £1 a bird - but for that they are breasted and vacuum packed within 24 hours of being shot. Even though my cartridge to bird ratio is still quite poor I am at least breaking even in that I enjoy good sport, eat lots myself but cover the cost of the cartridges with the ones I sell :yahoo:

Steve

if you intend selling any sort of game to anybody it must be in the fur / feather guts in because if you gut the rabbits it is classed as preperation so you are selling prepared game

to sell prepared game you must be regestered with your local council as selling prepared game locally they have a health inspector come to inspect your premises they also like you to have done a wild game meat hygine course (these are run by basc & gamekeeps association) the game dosent have to be shot locally to your premises but you must have been a member of the hunting party ( this rule is so you can not buy in carcases to process)

your premises could be your garage at home as long as it is to health & hygine standards! these rules are in place so all meat is traceable which is a legal requirement

i find it much easier to just sell my rabbits & pigeons & any other game to a local game dealer i get £1 for a rabbit fur on guts in & £1 per 3 pigeons feathers on pheseants vary on price throughout the season from a pound a brace to 5 pound a brace ducks i get 3 pound a brace all season

if you intend selling any sort of game to anybody it must be in the fur / feather guts in because if you gut the rabbits it is classed as preperation so you are selling prepared game

i don't know a single butcher that would take ungutted rabbits

i'm pretty sure you can supply 'small' quantities without a game license.

to sell prepared game you must be regestered with your local council as selling prepared game locally they have a health inspector come to inspect your premises they also like you to have done a wild game meat hygine course (these are run by basc & gamekeeps association) the game dosent have to be shot locally to your premises but you must have been a member of the hunting party ( this rule is so you can not buy in carcases to process)

your premises could be your garage at home as long as it is to health & hygine standards! these rules are in place so all meat is traceable which is a legal requirement

i find it much easier to just sell my rabbits & pigeons & any other game to a local game dealer i get £1 for a rabbit fur on guts in & £1 per 3 pigeons feathers on pheseants vary on price throughout the season from a pound a brace to 5 pound a brace ducks i get 3 pound a brace all season

No doubt you also declare the proceeds of selling your game on your annual tax return :blush: