10gr. powder for 12g cartridges

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that info.

Basically i guess i missed out a 'r' in the initial post :-)

The summary of the query is - what is the lowest possible load in terms of Gr, wad n shot (6-9) that can be used in a 12g- this is what will be used for very close ranges - like 5 - 10 yards on pests (snakes or so) which can be safely fired without waking up the neighborhood.

so what i tried to say in the initial post is - i take a regular skeet / trap cartridge and reduce the loads in them by less than half and then use cardboard wads and also reduce the shots to less than half - and so what i wanted to know was - could that recipe work for short ranges effectively.

/S/

PS,

You're also confusing some things in your post. You say start from a 26 gr and reduce the powder by half to 10 g. First, you're using two different units. The expression "g" denotes grams, as in the metric weight. That is what shot weight is labeled in. The expression "gr" is grain weight. That is what powder is normally measured in. The gram loading printed on a box is how much shot is contained in the cartridge, not how much powder. The manufacturers don't list how much powder is there, but from reloading manuals you're not going to find any (or many) 2 3/4" cartridges with 26 grams of powder in them. Normally you're in the 17-22 gr range for a 12 ga with ~1 oz loads.

Guys in the US have tried doing similar things with a 12 ga for a while, though starting from scratch and not trying to modify a factory load. Basically, they are loading it down to the lower possible level for some reason (usual reasons are young shooter, small quarry, cheaper target shooting, or "because I can"). The biggest limitation is the crimp. You need a certain volume of 'stuff' in the cartridge to have a good crimp (regardless of type of crimp). Even with a very plastic-y wad and filler, it seems like 5/8 oz is about the realistic minimum load for a 12 (about 17 grams of shot). You still have to keep the pressure up though to make sure the load clears the barrel and doesn't leave a ton of residue. You can go subsonic, but you're not going to be that quiet because you still have a lot of volume of gas to get rid of regardless of what load you use in a 12 ga. As noted, a 410 with subs and a mod or a garden gun is what you want. Low natural loads of shot, small powder supply, limited volume of gas required.

If you're just trying to identify the limits of a 12 ga, then the lower limit is roughly 15-17 g of shot.

Thanks

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that info.

The summary of the query is - what is the lowest possible load in terms of Gr, wad n shot (6-9) that can be used in a 12g- this is what will be used for very close ranges - like 5 - 10 yards on pests (snakes or so) which can be safely fired without waking up the neighborhood.

so what i tried to say in the initial post is - i take a regular skeet / trap cartridge and reduce the loads in them by less than half and then use cardboard wads and also reduce the shots to less than half - and so what i wanted to know was - could that recipe work for short ranges effectively.

/S/

No

Pigeon Sniper

while the 410 subs cartridges in inserts in the 12 bore may be suitable for the uses you are quoting, surely for small vermin at short ranges particularly with neighbours/noise concerns the air rifle is king, and by the look of your signature you have several :hmm:

that said I've never had to shoot at a snake before - what is considered the most appropriate "Tool" for shooting snakes?

Edited by Canis

Pigeon Sniper

while the 410 subs cartridges in inserts in the 12 bore may be suitable for the uses you are quoting, surely for small vermin at short ranges particularly with neighbours/noise concerns the air rifle is king, and by the look of your signature you have several :yahoo:

that said I've never had to shoot at a snake before - what is considered the most appropriate "Tool" for shooting snakes?

In the US, normally a 357/44/45 with shotshells like I described above. That is if you need to shoot them. Most of the time there is no need.

thanks

rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that info.

/S/

Unless you stick to recipes then "Hell mend you" ! You risk losing limbs and/or digits or even your life. You could end up with a wad stuck in the barrel and the next shot would be a surprise !!!