17hmr -which scope -done to death???

ajrb1

Hi Guys, I know you've been asked before but I still can't find a final verdict!

I've invested in a cz452 17hmr and need to buy a new scope & mounts.

I sometimes creep shoot in the day 60-120m, and do a bit of lamping as well. [i rarely go beyond the 120m I know the gun will.]

I've been looking at:

Nikon Prostaff 3-9x50

Simmons Aetec 4-14x44

Busnhell Trophy 3-12x56

Leupold VX1 3-9x40

Leupold Elite 3200 3-9x40 [bit over budget]

They are all about the same price [sub £200] but will I have enough light for lamping or enough magnification to get on the long range sitters!

What are your thoughts? What are you using???

Thanks

A

Most 50mm scopes will be suitable for lamping, including some of the "budget scopes"!

I use a cheap SMK 4-16X50AOE on my CZ452 Varmint (17HMR) and a Nikko Stirling 4-16X50 on my Bruno Fox .222 and they both do the job in a more than satisfactorily manner for me in both daylight and on the lamp! I am sure that some might advise you to go for something much more expensive but at the end of the day it is you that will be using it and not them so get what you are comfortable with. If possible find someone that has several rifles with different scopes and ask if you can have a look through them in different light conditions!

Having had oodles of variable mag scopes on mine I now use a fixed 6x mag. No faffing about with anything once the eyepiece has been set up - and fewer lens lets in more light and weigh less. There's plenty of 6x out there + a few 7 or 8 mags too, or even 10 mag. If you do get a variable I'd bet you'll mostly use it at about 6x for the HMR.

9x is adequate i like the scope mounted real low on the HMR to make the most of the flat trajectory and use a 3-9 x 40 Leuopld on my CZ varmint. Remeber a 10x scope at 100 yds is like a red dot sight at 10yds and 20yds for 200 yds, 15yds for 150 yds etc. Now if you cant aim at a bunnies head at 15yds with nil magnification then you need an eye test not a bigger scope :good:

The only downside is 150 yds low light shots at 9x limit the exit pupil (light gathering) but then again you can generally get closer than that under such low light conditions or just chest shoot them at 6X