Cockroach caught in house

V8landy

Last night spotted somthing crawling along the skiting, at first thought it was spider, but on catching it relised it was a Cockroach :yahoo: Chucked it out window.

At work at moment, so as soon as I get home will be on a major tidy up and clean looking for evidence/ removing sources of food etc.

First one have ever seen, and (as of yesterday) no other evidnce in the house. Any advice on what to do? DIY sticky pads etc?

Edit to add, I googled it and it came up as a German Cockroach

Edited by V8landy

hmmm. these things are hard to remove. when you kill them make sure to get rid of whats left as they can still lay eggs after they die.

removing all food source would be a good start and i would have a look beneath your kitchen cupboards as well.

out of interest is your house terraced? a few years back i had problems in a property because of fility neighbours storing huge sacks of rice. +

out of interest is your house terraced?

no we are detached, and quite remote.

Cats have shown quite an intrest under fridge recently, I had it out a few days back but could not see anything.

This one and only (thus far) Cockroach I have found, I found in the bedroom of all places :yahoo::good:

no we are detached, and quite remote.

Cats have shown quite an intrest under fridge recently, I had it out a few days back but could not see anything.

This one and only (thus far) Cockroach I have found, I found in the bedroom of all places :yahoo::good:

at least you can control it then.

if you have a solum space beneath your floors they could be down there. i would pop out the kickerboards in your kitchen and shine a light in there as well.

the powder/spray does kill them.

i found a couple in our house, after finding the first i had a good look under cupboards, around the fridge motor, anywhere warm, didn't find any more. just put it down to one of those things, we are in a rural location too, the next thing to watch out for are the mice moving in for the winter.

i found a couple in our house, after finding the first i had a good look under cupboards, around the fridge motor, anywhere warm, didn't find any more. just put it down to one of those things, we are in a rural location too, the next thing to watch out for are the mice moving in for the winter.

I think given the location in the house, I am more in the mind like you Paul that it is a one off, but will still have a look tonight.

As for the mice, that is a fore gone conclusion,

Last year we had one that was on night manouvers with a set regime and time, crawling up the cavity wall right past our heads whilst in bead, over the celing then out for the night.

Get the sticky pads that you sprinkle the powder on top, it contains a sexual pheromone which will drive every cockroach mad plus when they get stuck and die they will lay a egg. this is the only way to get rid of roach plus the egg. with the pheromone floating about you will soon no if your roach was a loner or not.

The plot thickens!!!!

OH come back from work today and says "We found one of them bug things at work today" (she is a teacher at a primary school

You mean one of these I says, German cockroach.

So either very much a coicidence or either OH have picked it up from work and brought back home, or it took at ride with her to work.

She will be showing the picture below to the Head for her coments.

In the mean time have just bought 24 cockroach traps (sticky glue ones)

german_cockroach.jpg

Last night spotted somthing crawling along the skiting, at first thought it was spider, but on catching it relised it was a Cockroach :good: Chucked it out window.

At work at moment, so as soon as I get home will be on a major tidy up and clean looking for evidence/ removing sources of food etc.

First one have ever seen, and (as of yesterday) no other evidnce in the house. Any advice on what to do? DIY sticky pads etc?

Edit to add, I googled it and it came up as a German Cockroach

The first place a pest controller will always look will be in the motor compartment of your fridge and or freezer, also washing machines, any where warm and with a bit of moisture.

A cheap effective way to catch the cockroach and any mice you may have is to place wide carpet tape, sticky side up, it is easy to remove and burn for anything that does get stuck to it ,and it stops mice dying in out of the way places and smelling the place out, they are only little but they smell something awful, cockroachs will also get stuck to the tape and as has already been correctly stated, you must catch the eggs, they can lay dorment for years.

Lay any sticky boards around the edge of the room, most of this type of infestation like to keep to the edge and mice especially will keep to the edges.

Have your pigeon counter handy in can get interesting.

Terry

bakerboy