How many of you dont bother with a hide??

TJ91

For the past few months i havent been using a hide of any kind when i have been decoying, i have just been going well camo'd clothing wise with a face mask and sitting next to the hedge and keeping still....

i have been getting just as much luck as before when i used a hide, and it saves carrying loads of gear about..

anybody else not bother with a hide??

For the past few months i havent been using a hide of any kind when i have been decoying, i have just been going well camo'd clothing wise with a face mask and sitting next to the hedge and keeping still....

i have been getting just as much luck as before when i used a hide, and it saves carrying loads of gear about..

i dont bother with a hide, but that could be because i dont have one!lol! i do find that some birds can be scared off on shots you could normally take from behind a hide.. IMO i think a hide is better than sitting still and only being able to take shots at the last point for the pigeon.

what about when you want a brew or a sarny or a fag?:yes:?

the birds will see you a mile off and not come anywere near B) :hmm:

i dont eat or drink during the day so no problem there.

and just use liqorice papers (brown) for fag so its camouflage haha.

i know there is pitfalls but i just wondered how many dont bother with hide...

Edited by TJ91

Pigeons can spot anything that doesn,t blend with the back ground they pick up any movement that is unatural against background so if you wear the right camo gear and sit still they wont detect you most of the time, but if you have a dog as you should have to find any birds shot and injured that you may not be able to get to or find yourself a hide is better as it conceals everything you have with you regards Pete

I'm one of those people who has bought every gimick and gizmo going to try and increase my bag and then at the end of it all I'm now trying to reduce what I take out to the bare essentials. I mean with me and my brother setting up, hide and decoys its not far off 30 minutes to set up now!

Was actually considering a gillie suit or similar and just sit there on my stool, back to the hedge. As someone else said above, probabl ygood if you wanted to snatch a few hours shooting but not so good because you have to sit pretty still.

I like to make my own hide, but I am thinking of including one of these to my kit.

Have a look at:

http://www.riversideoutdoor.co.uk/products...mo_pop_up_hide/

looks really light, easy to carry and easy to put up. A little extra netting tied on permanently, to reduce your outline and it could be quite good.

:blush:

I know what you mean. Its always bigger and better isn't it and I guess I count myself amongst that group!

Whilst reccying the other day I noticed an old bloke with a bundle on the bike of an old bike trundle up to a hedgerow, hack at it for a bit and tie some bits back, chucked some extra cover around and the rolled off again. I went for a nosey and it basically looked like he had made a tiny little one man hide. He had even left a little folding stool in there. Quite clever really although I'd still rather roll up in the landy, chuck out all my expensive **** and setup for war! Its part of the fun now!

I know what you mean. Its always bigger and better isn't it and I guess I count myself amongst that group!

Whilst reccying the other day I noticed an old bloke with a bundle on the bike of an old bike trundle up to a hedgerow, hack at it for a bit and tie some bits back, chucked some extra cover around and the rolled off again. I went for a nosey and it basically looked like he had made a tiny little one man hide. He had even left a little folding stool in there. Quite clever really although I'd still rather roll up in the landy, chuck out all my expensive **** and setup for war! Its part of the fun now!

Finding this site has opened up a pandoras box for me ellebarto, the vast majority of people just dont understand what makes us shooters tick.

To be able to talk openly about field sports even tho in my case its historic, is still very pleasant.

Edited by manxman2

Finding this site has opened up a pandoras box for me ellebarto, the vast majority of people just dont understand what makes us shooters tick.

To be able to talk openly about field sports even tho in my case its historic, is still very pleasant.

Hey I know exactly what you mean. Other than my brother I dont know anyone local who is into this kind of shooting and its great to bounce stuff off like minded people, even if sometimes it is a bit scatty or off the wall. Always keen to learn new things or even resurrect techniques from the past!

I had one days shooting this year when I used hide nets coloured like hay bales to blen in over cut stuble amongst real bales. Wish I could have actually used bales but they are so damn big now but anyway, great days shooting using what felt like proper field craft, for me anyway! :rolleyes::blush: