Shot gun on your home insurance

espron

Have had a look and didn't find couldn't find a post regarding this but do you have to tell your insurance that you have a shotgun and that you have cartridges stored in your home. As this may be a noob question to ask but are they not regarded as an explosive ?

Thanks Paul

I questioned my insurance company (direct line) on this as i was having a chat with a bloke at our local shoot who had his guns stolen from his house, and when it came to making a claim they were excluded from the insurance policy. When i spoke to my insurance it turns out they are covered unless an individual gun is worth in excess of £2500 then they need to be itemised and an extra premium will apply.

Hope that helps

ATB Ben

Churchill ( ohhh yes ) said something similar but you don't normally find out till something has happened and it's like a slap in the face cos you thought you were covered, was more the shells bein my concern in the event of a fire just wondered thats all

Have had a look and didn't find couldn't find a post regarding this but do you have to tell your insurance that you have a shotgun and that you have cartridges stored in your home. As this may be a noob question to ask but are they not regarded as an explosive ?

Thanks Paul

i have my guns on house insurance with castle insurance (online) they are itemised and they are insured away from house as well, there was an extra payment, can't rem what it was now but if u need it i could dig the info out i think

regards

geoff

claimed mine on the renewal this time.

as said above had to seperately declare any valued over £1500.

the nice lady said they were insured in the house and during transit to and from a shoot, but not on a shoot :yes:

basically i can take out as many undeclared ones as i want , plus the ones declared seperately.

only put the premium up by around £10 when i declared them but all the ones under £1500

were already covered under the 'high risk' cover on our house policy (budget) :yes:

I'm with Legal & General through Bradford & Bingley. No problem, I just had to confirm I had a police approved locked cabinet and that I would be keeping the gun(s) in it and asked the lock/security status of the house. It sounded like she was filling in a checklist, just asked the value/make etc of the gun and said it was ok - no extra cost for just the one gun - sorted !

Do you know if you have to declare possesion of shotgun to insurance company - would it effect your premium? Reason for asking is i know insurance companies can make a claim invalid if you have failed to notify them of chnage in circumstances. Would possesion of shotgun mean that you are increased risk - burglary etc?

quote name='Bloke' date='Oct 4 2010, 04:55 PM' post='1198333']

I'm with Legal & General through Bradford & Bingley. No problem, I just had to confirm I had a police approved locked cabinet and that I would be keeping the gun(s) in it and asked the lock/security status of the house. It sounded like she was filling in a checklist, just asked the value/make etc of the gun and said it was ok - no extra cost for just the one gun - sorted !