Rip Off Web Designers!

Frenchieboy

I've just been contacted by a client complaining that his web site has gone down. According to him he originally agreed to have one company design a basic 3 page web site, book the name (URL) and host the site on 25MB of web space at what seemed like a very reasonable price. I came into contact with him shortly after his "basic 3 page web site" had gone live and he asked if I could design a larger and more comprehensive web site for him. I agreed to do this for him as he is a friend and also a RFD that often supplies me with ammunition etc at "discounted prices". I have checked and found that his web site has gone down because the annual hosting is up for renewal and the company he hosts it through want £90.00 per year to host it. This to me is a scandalous price as the company I use for hosting only charges £20.00 (Plus V.A.T.) per year for 250MB of web space.

It looks like I am going to have to get them to remove their tag from the Domain Name and get it transfered to the company I use with their tag attached. I am just a little concerned that this Rip Off Company is going to try charging an extortionate fee for the transfer of the domain name.

I will keep you updated and if need be I will Name and Shame this Rip Off company so that none of the PW members get caught and robbed like this!

Edited by Frenchieboy

What can I say..

Bandwidth and Rackspace ain't cheap :hmm:

You pays your money and you takes your choice...

It's a bit like car insurance, it does pay to shop around. Although decent hosting support is worth it's weight in gold - do you get that with the cheaper option?

Definitely have to agree with you there Gary but I find it hard to see how a price of £90.00 for 25MB of web space can be justified when I can get it from a very reliable company (Who I gave been dealing with for many years) for just £20.00 (Plus V.A.T.) for 250MB of web space. Unfortunately there are some companies out there that seem to prey on and take advantage of those that do not know much about the WWW and it's pricings!

Definitely have to agree with you there Gary but I find it hard to see how a price of £90.00 for 25MB of web space can be justified when I can get it from a very reliable company (Who I gave been dealing with for many years) for just £20.00 (Plus V.A.T.) for 250MB of web space. Unfortunately there are some companies out there that seem to prey on and take advantage of those that do not know much about the WWW and it's pricings!

Fundamentally a business that can't afford £70 probably best give up now, there are lots of variables and backup s probably the most important one, no point having a server in the USA dirt cheap if when it goes down you have to wait till they go to work to sort it.

Fundamentally a business that can't afford £70 probably best give up now, there are lots of variables and backup s probably the most important one, no point having a server in the USA dirt cheap if when it goes down you have to wait till they go to work to sort it.

Agreed but then again why the heck should a company pay £90.00 per year for a product or service when they can get just as reliable a service FROM A BRITISH BASED COMANY for £20 plus V.A.T.? The company that only wants £20.00 (Plus V.A.T.) per year is offering 10 times the amount of web space and is extremely reliable and a British Based Company - Which is why I have used them for many years and never hesitate in reccommending them to others! Also the company that wants the £90.00 annual renewal fee totally misrepresented themselves and their costs to my client! People (And companies) that want to behave like that are a disgrace and should be prepared to lose the business, further to that if they don't like it then I will quite happily Name and Shame them to stop them from ripping off anyone else!

Edit: In answer to your question Manxman2 no they are not in Blackpool, this rip off company is in Bradford!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Thats a bit steep. A mate of mine who does shared hosting charges minimum of £20 per year, that gets you 500mb plus 10gb bandwidth.

I hope he's taken you up on your offer. Does he own the Domain or have the old hosts charged him and retained ownership?

Yes my client/friend has the domain name (www.liveanimalcapture.co.uk) registered to him but we are having to get it "retagged" to the provider that I use (UK Servers Ltd) so that we can "keep all our eggs in one basket" so to speak and link it up to the new web space that I they are providing for him.

He has left it up to me to do what I think as he is happy with my judgement and the quality of my work as a web designer. In that respect has always put his trust in me (Which I have always respected) The way that I have done things now all he is going to pay is £20.00 per year for hosting on 250MB of web space with 10gb of bandwidth, unlimited POP3 e-mail addresses, etc; as well as all the other standard trimmings! I have used UK Servers for many years and have never had any reason to question their service or their (Free) Technical Help Team, they have always treated me very well and I will always have no hesitation in recommending them to others!

I phoned him this evening and told him what I had done so in return he has told me not to buy any more .222 ammunition as he will supply me with whatever amount I want! Now that's what I call thanks but even so I would not dream of kicking the back side out of such generosity - I just wouldn't treat friends like that by abusing their generosity or gratitude!