Winter rape

proTOM1

Just seeing if the ones with winter rape in are seeing any numbers on there fields yet ?

I seem to have alot of birds hitting the rape now ,had a client shoot a field today he bagged 94 but ran out of shells would of been a ton for sure other wise !

Plus started with 42 fields now down to 41 as 1 has been eaten :D but this should be re-drilled :good:

TBH Tom I am not questioning that birds are being shot on new winter rape ,but this has to be a rare situation so early .

We have loads wheat stubbles alot of very advanced OSR field but I have never shoot birds feeding on it in early oct especially when the weather is so good.

I and dad have had a couple of good days lately the birds are jam packed with chitting wheat no sign of any green in there crops.

The field you lossed was that pigeon damage or rabbits or rain wash??

Regards OTH

Spent 2 hours yesterday on our permissions driving around looking at the rape to see if there is any activity and not a solitary pigeon on them , I beleive there is still to much food about for them at the moment , When the frosts come they will be on the osr in there numbers i hope as i was asked by the gamekeeper to watch another farm they contract to and each time i go there there is nothing but told that the canadas come into the fields and what they dont eat they trampel in so fingers crossed , Been watching the fields for 3 weeks now and no joy , So thursday looks like visiting a stubble field again till they start hitting em

cheers...............Paul

TBH Tom I am not questioning that birds are being shot on new winter rape ,but this has to be a rare situation so early .

We have loads wheat stubbles alot of very advanced OSR field but I have never shoot birds feeding on it in early oct especially when the weather is so good.

I and dad have had a couple of good days lately the birds are jam packed with chitting wheat no sign of any green in there crops.

The field you lossed was that pigeon damage or rabbits or rain wash??

Regards OTH

Well round me pigeons tend to hit early rape for a good month , there is very few stubbles now and all drilling is done and has been for a few weeks ,not many acorns i my neck of the woods and over the last few weeks have shot over rape twice myself taking 2 bags of 50 . The field that has gone is due to 2 birds patridges and pigeons . What i will say is different areas result in different pigeon activities . I have always done good over new winter rape and long may it continue :good:

Off out myself on some tomorrow morning will see how i get on :D

Edited by proTOM1

Plenty of rape around here but its not normally touched until after xmas when the hedgrerows and woodland bounty is exhausted.

This year is one of the best for a long time for Ivy, acorn & beech and Pigeons dont actually like rape that much as it has very little carbohydrate content so they will always look for an alternative when it is available.

Well again i had a few hours over rape and shot 41 and picked 38 and looked at a few of the birds crops well 10 of them 2 had wheat , 3 had nothing in and 1 had a few acorns and berrys and 4 had rape . Also spotted another field this afternoon with good numbers on when i was feeding so 1 for another day :blush:

Well again i had a few hours over rape and shot 41 and picked 38 and looked at a few of the birds crops well 10 of them 2 had wheat , 3 had nothing in and 1 had a few acorns and berrys and 4 had rape . Also spotted another field this afternoon with good numbers on when i was feeding so 1 for another day :blush:

So fair to say its could be 50/50 chance that they are gleaning the wheat/or acorns or other foodstuffs in the area from the field rather than solely feeding on the OSR .

I think its more case of pulling birds to deeks on a field of OSR that are mooching around the area rather than birds feeding purley on OSR I maybe wrong .

Kind regards OTH

I shot a field of rape, about 25 miles south of Lincoln, on Monday, and there were plenty of birds on it and other nearby fields. It is fair to say they were pretty skittish and there were a fair few young birds in the bag. Some of the rape has already got beyond the pigeons because of its growth but they look to have grazed some fields pretty well already.

After a drive round yesterday checked about 1k acres of rape and saw some activity, but not a lot of intense activity. Birds seem to be on stubbles and fresh drillings or mooching around the woods and hedgerows still. Very high pressure here today, so not expecting much until the pressure drops Friday night.

Plenty of rape around here but its not normally touched until after xmas when the hedgrerows and woodland bounty is exhausted.

This year is one of the best for a long time for Ivy, acorn & beech and Pigeons dont actually like rape that much as it has very little carbohydrate content so they will always look for an alternative when it is available.

Ive read some nonsense on this forum but 'pigeons dont actually like rape that much' really knocked me out! They love it you **** its one of the main reasons this site exists!!