Need some career advice!

Curly87

Thought I would turn to the mighty crowd of pigeonwatch to get some advice on which career path to take. Fresh from university and still really have little idea what I wish to do as a career. I do however know what environment I wish to work in.

Basically I want to have the opportunity to work on a multitude of different tasks and not get stuck doing a mundane job. I also wish to have the chance to work outdoors and in different locations. Would like to be able to use both my business skills learnt from university (did a sort of entrepreneurial business degree) with hands on practical skills that I also have. I do not particularly want to work in a big corporation and one day sooner rather than later would like to be my own boss. Lastly would like a career that would allow expansion and growth.

Ideas for careers have ranged from becoming a tree surgeon to property development.

So perhaps if you are in a line of work that fits that sort of working environment, it would be good to hear the pros and cons of what you do! Or any other random career suggestions would be good! :good:

I f your still at home I guess its a fine time to start min outgoings like morgage etc.

Still I would go with the armed forces for a 7 years.

While doing that training for tree surgeon is a poss as its cost alot of cash for average person .

It also takes time to learn correctly there is alot doing it and there is a big diffrents between and a tree surgeon and a arborist .

The first is only taught really how to climb and chop them down where a arborist is genrally more skilled in tree knowledge etc.

I started fully self employed last year is the best thing I have done I started purley garden work being trainning for tree work as added string to my bow.

But I secure more work for household maintance than garden work the two things to insure is be well know for the right reasons in your planned bussiness area very hard to start when they not got a clue who you are.

Second alway do a top notch job if there are any problems with the job fixed dont bodge it and run .

And alway the very best of luck whatever you do OTH

Cheers guys, I did think about the Armed Forces but if im honest I dont agree at all with what is going on out in Afghanistan and not sure I could commit to something like that knowing I could end up there. Don’t get me wrong I have full respect for the guys and gals out there but I cannot see the sense of such a tragic loss of life for something that will just return to how it was as soon as we leave.

Maybe I am more of a make love not war sort of person :good:

OTH have you ever thought about getting into developing property? I can see myself doing both gardening and house maintance and that combined with the risk of buying selling property for profit seems rather an exciting prospect.

Purely from an idealistic point of view (and too many years experience doing jobs for the sake of wages) look at what you actually like doing, getting out of bed in the morning is a hell of a lot easier of you have sometihng you like to do ahead of you. Be pragmatic and aware that you may not be able to earn as much doing what you like but it means you wont be working through the week hoping to get to the weekend like most of us!

With what ever you do i wish you luck,but i cannot see how someone can do a degree to be an entreprenuarial type person,surely they are self taught and motivated and not learnt in a class room.

Be very cautious about property developing,anyone can make money in a rising market but few can in this present state,its all about what to buy,when and where,how much to do to it,to create what and to sell when,get one wrong and you just lost big time,but having said all that you can make good money if you get it right ???,doing just this paid my mortgage off years ago and now lets me run my own my own business doing up other peoples houses.

I would suggest being a gas engineer who does services and breakdowns,is good money and little time is spent on site,so would give you more leisure time to enjoy your pursuits as any work is just that, its work,unless daddy lets you dib into the trust fund to pursue your hobbies make sure your chosen path is correct and you can branch out rather than coming all the way back down and up another path to start at the bottom again.

Best advice i could give is,buy land buy land buy land,whilst the stock markets and housing have fallen through the floor,land has continued to rise at the same time by 196% :good:

Good luck,choose your path wisely.

Well i guess the degree set out a foundation to build on rather than to teach someone how to be an entrepreneur, for example some of the modules I did were Sales and Marketing, Leadership and Teambuilding, E-Business, Software Engineering, , Business Strategy and Business Law

As for making sure I do something I enjoy, that is probably why I am in such a dilemma now. I really dont want to waste my life just living for the weekend. Ill find something, getting a better idea now so will see where it takes me! :good:

OTH have you ever thought about getting into developing property? I can see myself doing both gardening and house maintance and that combined with the risk of buying selling property for profit seems rather an exciting prospect.

I am not from a well off family if your family is good on the money side then this is what I would have done .

I set out self employed to make more money and quality time for myself but it comes with a price in the early years .

Without a question if you or your family has money it becomes easier to earn money but it can also damp your vision and goals as you dont need to be susessfull as there is alway money to fall back on.

Regards OTH

I am not from a well off family if your family is good on the money side then this is what I would have done .

I set out self employed to make more money and quality time for myself but it comes with a price in the early years .

Without a question if you or your family has money it becomes easier to earn money but it can also damp your vision and goals as you dont need to be susessfull as there is alway money to fall back on.

Regards OTH

In the same boat as you then, family is not by any means well off. But was thinking if I could save around 10k then that could go on a deposit for a run down 50k flat or bungalow and some left over to renovate it. Only problem is getting the mortgage, I would need to have a constant income to get one. But I think it could be done on a reasonable budget if the right property is brought at the right place and time.