Month or so ago

ollie

It took me a while to get this topic up; forgot to load the pics from my camera to the laptop but done now.

Anyway the 3 of us went out with the intention of shooting a few bunnies in the evening and foxes at night. The first place we called there were 3 foxes; however, because we had shot one in this very spot a couple of weeks previous they were a bit lamp shy, we must have spent about an hour calling with no luck. On the way back to the car I told the lads to hold back as I was sure with all that calling that another fox may have came in from behind, sure enough there was a fox in the field beside the car and Glensman took care of it. A nice young dog fox.

post-21-1286819497.jpg

Went to the next place to call and I was determined to get my other mate his first fox with a rifle, sure enough there were another 3 in this area. I must have spent another half hour calling and this big old dog fox came in and he dispatched it well for his first with the rifle. Picture below with the lads and the bunnies we shot.

post-21-1286819634.jpg

...Another pic of my mate posing proudly with his first fox under lamp and rifle.

post-21-1286819731.jpg

We continued on and got to a place my father had shot a fox in the week before. When he shot this fox there was another with it but it got away. When we got to the field we caught sight of the one which had been there previous as it took off like a flash. Called for another few minutes and a small vixen presented herself about 35 yards away; it was my turn to take the shot, so I took Glensman's WMR and bang.... the fox left. Now I knew I had hit the fox even though the lads thought I had missed, when we came upon the fox it was a further 20 yards away, the bullet had entered the centre of the chest and came out near the abdomen and on its way out it had dislocated the back leg. Why does everyone think this fox didn't drop on the spot? We though it was because it was too close and the bullet never had a chance to expand. Anyway picture of me below with the small vixen.

post-21-1286820065.jpg

Ended the night with 3 foxes and 5 bunnies.

Sounds like a good night was had by all! Well done! :rolleyes::yes::hmm:

I have had a fox that ran a few yards and clean off the edge of a quarry to a 100 plus foot drop the other week after being shot with the .222 When I got down to where it landed I found that the bullet had passed through its rib cage (Leaving quite a hole on the exit) so I can only guess that it was either adrenaline or nerves that made it run on for that a few seconds. The only other option is that it had just had a can of Red Bull! :hmm::lol::lol:

It's the first one that I have had do this but I am led to believe that this is not uncommon!

Edited by Frenchieboy

nice night out!

im not one of these that thinks only a centerfire will do for foxes (ive shot quite a few with my rimmy) but do believe if any smaller calibre is to be used then a head shot is a best place to shoot, any body shots risk this happening as the head doesnt always hit anything hard enough to make it expand..in this case the back leg.

well done on your mates first fox..plenty more to come no doubt! :D