L98A1 (SA80) does anyone own one?

NorfolkPoacher

Since when have Para Reg had M4?? And who are the other British Groups?

Only ones who have anything different are the SF Group and they have Demarcos not M4s.

Beat me to it welshwarrior!

The booties were given the green light for M4's but then the paras put in for them too, and in the subsequent bunfight, they all lost out :good:

Beat me to it welshwarrior!

The booties were given the green light for M4's but then the paras put in for them too, and in the subsequent bunfight, they all lost out :yes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...-mile-away.html since now. the rm artic warfare cadre are issued m4's, not all rm are issued with it,just a few. para reg have also an m4 issued to certain groups,pathfinders if memory serves. now i think they are a canadian made m4 cant remember the manufacturer name,but its the same as used by our sas/sbs as they dont use junk like the sa80,they prefer something that works and is combat effective. now although this is not replaceing all sa80s as its just a role filler ie sniping,its seen in the defence industry as the begining of the end for the sa80. and by the way it wont be built under licence here,the mod will buy them in no doubt and try an avoid the scandal of the entry into our forces of the original sa80. i never said british troops were issued with m4's,i said m4 type. just had a look it was canadian,its a diemaco.

Edited by the running man

Running Man the Diemaco is not the same as an M4 it is much better and used by our SF group and some US SF costs a bit more.

I have no issue with my SA80 A2 apart from the weight especially now we have the ACOG sight in the infantry. Yanks like our new HK magazines as well.

its an m4 type,which is the point. its very much diffrent from the sa80,would you not agree? and yes its much more reliable, its a crying shame that we only have a limited amount of small arms manufacturing in this country. we have some great names in rifles though, A.I. portsmouth being the foremost on my mind.

• 2 months later...

A few of years ago, I met a bloke who had been in the same company as me, quite a bit before my time. We were remaining about the old GP and he reckoned at one time whenever a detachment closed they would sell them off on the open market.

I don't know how true it is, you would think the cadets would want to keep their hands on every rifle they had. I mean I was always under the impression the L98A1 pretty much a one of production run....

• 2 years later...

I believe there are less than 30 in private hands and i have one of them . Aparently there were some privatly owned in Canada but got banned when they passed a law against bullpup weaponds . I am in process of exporting mine to the USA where i am now a perminant legal resident but am having problems with the BATF .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...-mile-away.html since now. the rm artic warfare cadre are issued m4's, not all rm are issued with it,just a few. para reg have also an m4 issued to certain groups,pathfinders if memory serves. now i think they are a canadian made m4 cant remember the manufacturer name,but its the same as used by our sas/sbs as they dont use junk like the sa80,they prefer something that works and is combat effective. now although this is not replaceing all sa80s as its just a role filler ie sniping,its seen in the defence industry as the begining of the end for the sa80. and by the way it wont be built under licence here,the mod will buy them in no doubt and try an avoid the scandal of the entry into our forces of the original sa80. i never said british troops were issued with m4's,i said m4 type. just had a look it was canadian,its a diemaco.

These are sharp shooter rifle is 7.62 cal not 5.56 they are not M4S THEY LOOK the same SHAPE AND FUNCTION alike.real colt m4 were never issued to the paras your getting confused with this gun its not made by colt and has no colt trade marks

Diemaco has been issued to some para reg, but there isn't many. I could dig out the C351, but you will just have to take my word for it as the inspecting officer.

Anyone with an ounce of mechanical knowledge, could convert the cadet rifle to make it automatic.

​All the SA80 variates are compatible to each other, the cadet kit is effectively our war stock.

Its a poor weapon in some respects, but great for it job role, and extremely robust hence why the inspection period was upped from 6month to a year except modacs and ancils. If we issued all the infantry with Diemacos, I never have a time to drink a brew and play warhammer in my seller, Id be forever fixing them.