Paying for Shooting

al4x

I love the shiney new member that pops up with "look what I have just shot" photos - sometimes they are obviously iffy in that the photo may claim to be "just shot in winter" but there's leaves on the trees and people in shorts in the photo or the location clearly isn't where the photo is claimed to have been taken. Normally the post and photos generally support a fantastic time out on X's land or with X.

Shortly thereafter follows the "paid stalking / shooting post......" appearing in the For Sale Section.

It's all just a bit boring and obvious. Mind you if someone wants to involve me in any such "operation" by letting me shoot an Elephant in Scotland for nothing then I am happy to oblige. It's probably easier and cheaper than sleeping with all the mods to curry favour. Mind you the mods on this site don't come any cheaper or easier :good:

The old rule holds true; beware new members bearing gifts....

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the shiney new member that pops up with "look what I have just shot" photos - sometimes they are obviously iffy in that the photo may claim to be "just shot in winter" but there's leaves on the trees and people in shorts in the photo or the location clearly isn't where the photo is claimed to have been taken. Normally the post and photos generally support a fantastic time out on X's land or with X.

Shortly thereafter follows the "paid stalking / shooting post......" appearing in the For Sale Section.

It's all just a bit boring and obvious. Mind you if someone wants to involve me in any such "operation" by letting me shoot an Elephant in Scotland for nothing then I am happy to oblige. It's probably easier and cheaper than sleeping with all the mods to curry favour. Mind you the mods on this site don't come any cheaper or easier :good:

The old rule holds true; beware new members bearing gifts....

So the higher the post count the more honest you are?

So the higher the post count the more honest you are?

The more posts, the greater length of time on the forum and the more people met in the real world then the more you will know about that person and what that person is all about.

In the history of forum scamming it is the new users with low post counts who no one has met that do the most scamming.

It's a matter of common sense.

EDIT:

However, in answer to your specific question, the answer is "yes". I have met on a number of times each of the Top 10 posters (by post count) on this forum.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...&filter=ALL

On the other hand I haven't met the 10 mmbers with the lowest post count on this forum....

Edited by Mungler

We have also always had professional Guides making their services known, but I agree we have seen in recent months the emergence of the "amateur" members selling a day out.

Surely all new guides would at first be amateurs but may have many years knowledge ,does not make them any less better .

Crumpets you hear of many shocking storys of established guides and would you class me as a amateur guide if I did set out to offer paid days :good: .

I think the clear reason that forums have open up the whole world to a vast track of shooters who are otherwise out of the loop of shooting world .Which I think is a good .

All my landowners would be aware of my clients and would get money in return no diffrent from if I offered days out to mates I always tell my landowners if I got a mate coming with me as its not my land .

Kind regards OTH

All my landowners would be aware of my clients and would get money in return no diffrent from if I offered days out to mates I always tell my landowners if I got a mate coming with me as its not my land .

Would you tell the landowner "mate" or "paying client"?

I suspect that "mate" would prompt no reaction, whereas "paying client" another.

And that pretty much goes to the heart of MarkBivvy's post which is on the money.

If you're going to take someone shooting, you can always ask them to cover the cost of their own insurance. Whilst BASC is one of the priciest, CA will cover me for around a tenner. I'm sure someone wouldn't mind paying that if they were that keen on going.

Once someone pays you, your BASC,SACS,CA,C3 insurances are all void, they do not cover you for commercial shooting. Therefore anyone taking someone shooting and getting paid needs to take out the correct insurances...

Once someone pays you, your BASC,SACS,CA,C3 insurances are all void, they do not cover you for commercial shooting. Therefore anyone taking someone shooting and getting paid needs to take out the correct insurances...

And you also have to wonder how long it will take the farmer to figure out that he stands to make a heck of a lot more if he takes your cut out of the loop and just tells people they can pay him to shoot on the day?

Oops, no permission anymore :good:

I didnt mean it like that. I meant a shooter could get their own insurance for a tenner. Doing that wouldn't void it, as it covers them even if they paid a million or nothing for the day.

As far as I'm aware, my insurance doesn't cover anyone else who is injured, unless it was me who injured them. So sending someone out with their shotgun on my permission, regardless if I had received payment or not would mean the person was not insured.

We pay for some of our permissions,others we get for free,so long as we keep on top of the vermin.We regularly take out other people we know who don't at the moment have somewhere of their own to shoot,and the favour is always returned when they find somewhere,and we have taken literally dozens of kids out who want to get into shooting or ferreting.All for free.

We seriously considered taking out paying clients(with the full knowledge of the landowner)but felt we couldn't guarantee results,so we've abandoned the idea!Chickened out! :good:

I think it has to be like anything else you buy,"you pays your money you takes your chance"

BUT make sure YOU are happy with all arrangements and reasonably sure you are going to get what you are paying for before you part with any dosh.It is no different really to buying anything off a forum,ebay or any other internet based sale,there has to be a degree of trust on the buyers behalf that once they have payed they are going to get the goods as described.Sadly some dont and i know personaly that some "shooting for sale" isnt always what it says on the tin.Been on a pigeon guided day that consisted of being dropped off at a field with a bread crate full of frozen pigeons and picked up six hours later after firing 3 cartridges,been on a duck flight pond and never fired a shot,been on a 60 bird day where i never fired a shot until the last drive and the bag was 18 AND the keeper had the cheek to ASK for a 50 quid tip ! None of these were off here but were booked through the internet on 2 occasions.The pigeon experience cost £50,the duck £60 and the pheasants £180 and all were a rip off.

I am in the fortunate position of having a lot of land and to be honest i could have more if i wanted it but like someone said how and when would i shoot it ?Someone else may aswell have it.I have toyed with the idea of offering walked up days or even putting a full day on on our shoot but is it worth the hassle ? Yes i would make a bit for myself on the walked up days as i would be doing the donkey work and using my dogs,diesel etc but the full day would be purely to provide money to keep our shoot going and i wouldnt make a penny,even the walked up days most of the dosh would go to running the shoot and it would be with the full knowledge and permission of the farmer.If people didnt get what they expected or better i wouldnt have the gall to charge them.

So....if anyone is buying shooting from anywhere, try and find out as much as you can about what to expect,word of mouth goes a long way in the shooting world,tell others and name and shame.