From Clay to Pigeon

snozzer

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of taking a member from this board out. It was the first time he had come out with me and he came out on a guided package.

We met up at the barns with another 4 guns and I distributed the bacon butties which on the cold morning went down well as I did the safety brief for the day. The other guns were all on DIY packages for the day and we drove off in convoy around the site dropping them off on route. At about 8.45 we got to the final site a 45acre field of freshly drilled wheat, the field was heavy with birds and plenty in the air.

We watched the field for about 5 minutes having a chat about the birds movements before setting off to a spot I had recce'd the day before. It was a bit of a slog about 1/3 mile over clay ground that was thankfully frozen and when we reached our spot we setup hide and decoy and put the magnet with hypa-flaps on and a airpro floater.

We then got into the hide after another discussion on safety and within minutes the shooting started with no wind the birds came from every angle and presented some challenging shots. Steve was putting birds on the deck and after about 45 minutes I left him to enjoy the day. I returned about 1pm and the wind had picked up, so we talked about the decoy pattern and adjusted it for the wind, getting back into the hide the birds came in like pissheads to a kebab house :hmm:

I left Steve alone after 30minutes and came back with the video to catch a few clips. The birds started to peter out at about 3ish and by 3.45 we called it a day.

We picked up 42 pigeons (and ferals) and 4 crows/jackdaws, there must have been another 15 down in the woods behind us, but with no dog we had no chance of getting them (at least Charlie had them to feast on instead of my pheasants...)

img00213-20101025-1559.jpg

We picked up 42 pigeons (and ferals) and 4 crows/jackdaws, there must have been another 15 down in the woods behind us, but with no dog we had no chance of getting them (at least Charlie had them to feast on instead of my pheasants...)

img00213-20101025-1559.jpg

so your basically saying you likely left wounded birds to suffer because you didnt bring a dog, and even if they were dead, you just leave them to rot? thats a nice portrayal of pigeon shooting. but then thats the done thing these days, they are pests arent they, get them shot

:blink: For **** sakes is it a full moon? No hes not saying that!!! Hes saying that 15 SHOT birds landed in the woods behind, who said anything about wounded? If they come close enough to shoot over the pattern, the majority will be very dead!!!! Why not let the fellow have his 15 minutes? Hes enjoyed himself and deservedly so for a firsty effort instead of ******* on his parade? :oops:

:rolleyes: For **** sakes is it a full moon? No hes not saying that!!! Hes saying that 15 SHOT birds landed in the woods behind, who said anything about wounded? If they come close enough to shoot over the pattern, the majority will be very dead!!!! Why not let the fellow have his 15 minutes? Hes enjoyed himself and deservedly so for a firsty effort instead of ******* on his parade? :hmm:
well said evil theres always some k*** that wants to have a moan and pick holes i some ones post

well done on the shooting lads and nice to see a video for a change :hmm::hmm:

well said evil theres always some k*** that wants to have a moan and pick holes i some ones post

well done on the shooting lads and nice to see a video for a change :rolleyes::hmm:

i see, so both you and evil elvis both condone leaving wounded birds around to suffer? and lets say that all 15 were dead, and thats a slim chance given the guy has just started, is it still ok to leave them to lie as they fell? is this the general attitude of pigeon shooters? in my opinion it shows a total lack of respect for quarry, and shows that to most they are just a number to talk about down the pub

i see, so both you and evil elvis both condone leaving wounded birds around to suffer? and lets say that all 15 were dead, and thats a slim chance given the guy has just started, is it still ok to leave them to lie as they fell? is this the general attitude of pigeon shooters? in my opinion it shows a total lack of respect for quarry, and shows that to most they are just a number to talk about down the pub

Have i missed something here are you not the same guy who said he dumped over 300 pigeons in a hedge because you could not get your truck in to the field :rolleyes: If im wrong then im sorry :hmm: