Visit from the FLO

Lord Geordie

Well my visit is done and dusted now i have to cross my fingers and hope :lol:

A bit of a suprise as my Mate got a Male FLO over 6 feet and built like an outhouse.

I had 2 Women and good looking ones at that :look:

Checked everything out locks on doors windows etc

Checked the cabinet and fittings

Checked out the alarm system

Asked a few questions and said Thats fine and they left :D

Was over in 10 mins :oops:

Not sure where it goes from here?. They seemed happy with everything but now i guess it's a waiting game.

They even asked if my 10 year old wanted to apply for HIS shotty :look:

I said no as i think at 10 he is still a bit young and i want to get him acustomed to gun safety with the Air rifles before stepping him up to a shotty.

Anyway fingers crossed :look:

Lord Geordie

I had 2 Women and good looking ones at that :look:

Was over in 10 mins :look:

So that's 5 minutes with each of them :look: :*)

If they were trying to get your lad to apply they couldn't have been worried about anything. I suppose it's down to how long their admin takes.

Best of luck

Dave

BTW, did you get any piccies of them on your phone?? :D

Usually just give it a little knock and a pull with the door open and maybe ask what fittings you used

They tried to pull my mates from the wall :look:

A big burley 6 foot 4+ lad built like a brick 5hithouse shouldered it and then tried to wrench it from the wall :oops:

Still his stood the test as has mine. Then checked the fittings were the correct type (not just screws and rawl plugs :D )

Also she lifted the foam from the bsae to make sure i had coach screws into the wood floor too :lol:

5 mins with each?:look:

I would want a whole NIGHT with each if i had the chance :lol:

The younger one was a REAL stunner :look:

Lord Geordie

Guest Mr Pieman

LJ,

how many guns have you got/intend getting? Can't work out why they checked the windows and alarm :D

PP

PS There is no set standards for anchorages for cabinets. Screws/plugs are fine if they are up to the job. My cabinets (shotgun and rifles) are screwed into the beams in the attic with standard wood screws and perfectly acceptable to the FLO :look:

For wood yeah they will be fine but in brick they promote the use of anchor bolts and in breeze blox like mine Resin anchor fixings

I am intending on about 3 shotty's one for clays one for game and a cheapo knock about for general work.

Why do they want to see the locks and alarm etc? Who knows i just fitted em as it is advised for good security so i got window locks etc it didn't cost a lot to do the security thing so it's no biggy to me.

I even fitted a coded cylinder lock to the cupboard door so even my kid can't get access to the cabinet room.

I had been reading on the advice given for security for applying for FAC and just carried out the work myself. Seemed a sensible thing to do.

Lord Geordie

Usually just give it a little knock and a pull with the door open and maybe ask what fittings you used

They tried to pull my mates from the wall :lol:

A big burley 6 foot 4+ lad built like a brick 5hithouse shouldered it and then tried to wrench it from the wall :o

Still his stood the test as has mine. Then checked the fittings were the correct type (not just screws and rawl plugs :( )

Also she lifted the foam from the bsae to make sure i had coach screws into the wood floor too B)

5 mins with each????

I would want a whole NIGHT with each if i had the chance :D

The younger one was a REAL stunner :lol:

Lord Geordie

Lord Geordie..

So they asked to look at your nuts did they?... Sweet!

My chap in Hampshire was keen to check general houshold security too. He checked out the security of my front door, patio doors, windows etc. He also wanted to see that the Gun Cab was out of general view from anywhere that visitors were likely to walk around.

I'd been told I needed 6 x 10mm rawl bolts into the "Fabric" of the building (into brick or block, basically) but they didn't need to be resin anchored. I think I used maybe 8mm in the end but with the plastic end-caps on they still looked massive. He gave the cabinet a bit of a tug with the door open and was happy with it. He also asked me to get my gun out (I already had one shotgun when I applied for my FAC) and checked it was empty etc. He was a clay shooter (civilian, not ex-police) and liked the look of my Browning.

All in all it was a reasonable "grilling", and he was a bit of a fuddy-duddy you might say, but you know how it is, you play along with the game right?

The guy I had for my SGC check was a great bloke, an ex-copper, who are always the best I think, totally different to the second guy.

I've 2 cabinets and on my firearms grant he checked the new one that was into breeze block with wall bolts and I'd had a load of trouble getting it tight as the blocks were pretty soft. It wobbled he said better tighten that a bit and off he went :( granted it no problem

If they make you resin the bolts in how do YOU get the cabinet off when you move house? :(

Each police force has slightly different rules you just need to check before you spend a lot of cash on the wrong thing.

Mine mentioned an alarm for over a certain amount of guns but I can't remember the exact number.

Mine mentioned an alarm for over a certain amount of guns but I can't remember the exact number.

Well that's a clever idea, after all it's not like you can do much harm with just a couple of guns is it? :(

Tell me about it.

Didn't really bother me at the time but now my shopping list is growing there is only one space left in my cabinet already.

If they make you resin the bolts in how do YOU get the cabinet off when you move house? :(

Each police force has slightly different rules you just need to check before you spend a lot of cash on the wrong thing.

Tenbears!

You resin the threaded bar fixings in the wall and when set you can put the cabinet on the threaded bars and then use a few washers and the nuts to secure.

I guess when it comes to removal of the cabinet the studs will still be sticking out the wall but an angle grinder should fettle that and a smidging of plaster over the holes.

Was nice n easy really but for breeze blox it is the best fixings to use.

If it was brick i would have got away with the normal anchor bolts

Lord Geordie

I have 2 rifles and 7 shotguns. My son has one shotgun.

When the FLO came around when my son's renewal was due, he insisted that I had to add my son's gun to my shotgun certificate as he is away at Uni.

I said OK and then he said and now that you have 10 guns in total you will need an alarm linked to the cop shop, bars on the window of the room the cabinets are in (bedroom) and an exterior door fitted to the room with extra locks on it!!!!!

I politely suggested that he was having a laugh. He replied "well, you may have problems at renewal time".

I already have an alarm, but not connected to the cop shop. I don't mind changing the door, but bars at the window..no way.

If I need to stay below 10, it's goobye .410.

Im applying for a firearms and renewing my shotgun cert, so i had the FAO come over to inspect my cabinet on monday, he was here for about 10 minutes max! Had a quick look at the cabinet gave it a bit of a push, a couple of questions and off he went, said he'd send it off that day and i should expect it returned in 2 weeks!? Oh he also asked / suggested if the .22rimfire i was applying for would be used for foxes? doesnt BASC state that this is not allowed? My answer was only head shots at close range.