Boundary Days,. Lincolnshire

richg

You have a PM Johnny.

I've booked the 20th December for six guns. Michala has responded to the three emails I've sent her the following day. It is her business email address and, given the current weather conditions, she may not be able to get into work.

Phil

SHOOT REPORT. Tuesday 14th December.

As promised a report on our day at Leadenham.

We met the keeper Peter Lancaster and two helpers at 9am at the George Hotel in the middle of the village, greetings over we set off onto the estate to do a cover strip, we lined out around one end and it was pushed towards us,this produced only a few partridges, half a dozen shots, no birds in the bag. Trying to remain optimistic we then did a similar drive in the next field. What a turn around, steady show of partridges over us, ending with 15 good birds in the bag. With nerves now settled on both sides we started to enjoy our day. The next drive produced half a dozen storming pheasants and a partridge, we decided to do one more before lunch, doing a small wood nearby. this was pushed away from the guns with probably 40 birds climbing and curling back over the line, it was shooting of the finest order, being able to pick good birds, this finished with a further 16 birds in the bag. We then took our lunch in the field, full of high spirits and good cheer. Lunch over we then moved to a small copse on a hillside where a dozen very high birds sorted the men from the boys, we came away with 5 pheasants and big smiles. The next drive produced just one pheasant and a woodcock. The last drive of the day was a cover crop with a bit of woodland in the middle, this gave a good show of birds, putting another 7 pheasants in the bag. A total of 51 for the day. In summing up, an excellent day was had by all.Thank you to Peter,Glen and Aubry for your efforts. I'm glad i booked two days. For those of you who have days booked, have fun.

I'm looking forward to monday with PhilR and his commonwealth gold medal winning trap shooting mate and friends - hopefully it'll be as good if Dad and i are up to it!!

Don't worry I've got a new gun lined up for him - a single barrel .410 with the firing pin filed down a bit, for a few misfires, and 10lb trigger pulls that should put him off his stroke and give us a chance :lol::P :o

LEADENHAM BOUNDARY DAY 20TH DECEMBER.

Blackla and I set off separately from a snow bound Beds and Bucks on Sunday for the drive up to Lincolnshire to stay with family and friends respectively so we'd be ready for the following day. I don't think there's anything worse than having a long drive in inclement weather at the crack of dawn and then expecting to perform at your best when you get there be it game shooting or competition clays.

Anyway we didn't have to worry about the shoot being affected by snow as Lincs unusually hadn't had any, it was the thick fog and -5C that was the problem. (Get excuses in quick) :lol:

We met up with the keeper and beaters at the George in Leadenham and drove up to the estate. We had six guns and decided after the first drive to number ourselves so there was some semblance of order and fairness in positioning. We were standing on each drive with no walking guns.

We did eight drives over cover crop or small spinneys. The first cover crop drive drew a blank, with no-one firing a shot, but it did push partridges into the second cover crop drive. For this we lined out the far side of the cover crop behind a hedge and shot 14 partridges with plenty of birds coming over us fast with little warning.

The third drive was again cover crop with the guns lined out with a spinney behind us with the birds driven towards it. We had seven pheasants and a partridge there. The next drive we lined out around the spinney and accounted for another five pheasants and a woodcock.

We then stopped for lunch and resumed afterwards on another part of the estate, the first drive of the afternoon was through a very open piece of wood on a slope and two partridges were shot there.

We then drove to another part of the estate for the next drive which was another spinney and that put another pheasant into the bag. We drove on again to the next drive which was cover crop going into a spinney and three pheasants were shot there although quite a few more came over us. Sadly we didn't do them justice.

The final drive was done about 2.30pm the light was going because of the fog and there was just one pheasant shot from this small spinney.

We had a total bag of 35 being 17 pheasants, 17 partridge and 1 woodcock for 137 shots so just under a 1:4 ratio. Everyone had some shooting and enjoyed themselves and would definitely go back to Leadenham again.

Thanks to go the keeper Peter Lancaster, his three beaters plus RichG for putting the ad on PW in the first place. :good:

LEADENHAM BOUNDARY DAY 20TH DECEMBER.

Blackla and I set off separately from a snow bound Beds and Bucks on Sunday for the drive up to Lincolnshire to stay with family and friends respectively so we'd be ready for the following day. I don't think there's anything worse than having a long drive in inclement weather at the crack of dawn and then expecting to perform at your best when you get there be it game shooting or competition clays.

Anyway we didn't have to worry about the shoot being affected by snow as Lincs unusually hadn't had any, it was the thick fog and -5C that was the problem. (Get excuses in quick) :lol:

We met up with the keeper and beaters at the George in Leadenham and drove up to the estate. We had six guns and decided after the first drive to number ourselves so there was some semblance of order and fairness in positioning. We were standing on each drive with no walking guns.

We did eight drives over cover crop or small spinneys. The first cover crop drive drew a blank, with no-one firing a shot, but it did push partridges into the second cover crop drive. For this we lined out the far side of the cover crop behind a hedge and shot 14 partridges with plenty of birds coming over us fast with little warning.

The third drive was again cover crop with the guns lined out with a spinney behind us with the birds driven towards it. We had seven pheasants and a partridge there. The next drive we lined out around the spinney and accounted for another five pheasants and a woodcock.

We then stopped for lunch and resumed afterwards on another part of the estate, the first drive of the afternoon was through a very open piece of wood on a slope and two partridges were shot there.

We then drove to another part of the estate for the next drive which was another spinney and that put another pheasant into the bag. We drove on again to the next drive which was cover crop going into a spinney and three pheasants were shot there although quite a few more came over us. Sadly we didn't do them justice.

The final drive was done about 2.30pm the light was going because of the fog and there was just one pheasant shot from this small spinney.

We had a total bag of 35 being 17 pheasants, 17 partridge and 1 woodcock for 137 shots so just under a 1:4 ratio. Everyone had some shooting and enjoyed themselves and would definitely go back to Leadenham again.

Thanks to go the keeper Peter Lancaster, his three beaters plus RichG for putting the ad on PW in the first place. :good:

I thoroughly enjoyed the day, and more importantly so did my dad!

I'd book again. Although it's all booked up this year, Peter seemed to think the days would be run again next year, so get in early when they come up!

AB

Had a good day today at Leadenham, after a scratchy start on the first 3 drives(mainly due to below par shooting - I think I was the biggest culprit !) we managed to take some of the pressure off ourselves with two excellent maize strip drives before lunch which gave 3 pheasants + 6 partridge and 16 partridge respectively. Did another maize drive and three woodland drives during the afternoon which put mainly pheasants into the bag.

Final tally was 31 Redlegs, 14 pheasants and a woodcock for 152 shots.

Had our second day at Leadenham on Wednesday. The weather was a bit against us with a few heavy showers during the day,

We finished up with 36 head i think (OVER 100 SHOTS) mainly pheasants. Game is getting a bit thin on the ground but Peter and his team worked really hard to ensure that we all got some shooting. All in all another great day out shooting with freinds.

Our little team take these sort of days as often as we can now, because we no longer gauge the day by the pile of slain laid out at the end of the day, but by the pleasure we have in being out together enjoying our sport. As long as we keep getting a shot or two throughout the day and we can laugh at each other when we miss, the day has been a great success. We no longer get bogged down with numbers. These sorts of days are great value and great fun, but might not appeal to "bean" counters.

The key is HAVE FUN AND LAUGH A LOT.

Had our second day at Leadenham on Wednesday. The weather was a bit against us with a few heavy showers during the day,

We finished up with 36 head i think (OVER 100 SHOTS) mainly pheasants. Game is getting a bit thin on the ground but Peter and his team worked really hard to ensure that we all got some shooting. All in all another great day out shooting with freinds.

Our little team take these sort of days as often as we can now, because we no longer gauge the day by the pile of slain laid out at the end of the day, but by the pleasure we have in being out together enjoying our sport. As long as we keep getting a shot or two throughout the day and we can laugh at each other when we miss, the day has been a great success. We no longer get bogged down with numbers. These sorts of days are great value and great fun, but might not appeal to "bean" counters.

The key is HAVE FUN AND LAUGH A LOT.

That is exactly the right spirit, being outdoors, in company and enjoying a shot or two. I had a day earlier in the season with some chaps, one of whom had kindly invited me, and it was a great day. We ended up with around a dozen mixed head, I had a few shots, but didn't hit a thing - including a pheasant that got up in front of the whole team and I missed with both barrels - no one thought a thing of it. Pigeon shooting is fantastic but mostly it is a one-man sport, and it is good to go out in company.

• 3 weeks later...