veg patch-wood ash

pigeonstu

We have had a log burner for say 10 yrs and use say 15 tonne of wood per year and all the ash ( say a shovel full every few days) goes onto the garden it works well to break down clayie soil. Coal ash/soot is another issue

It's astounding how little ash is produced from so much wood! And, yes, all my wood fire ash goes on the flower beds.

It's astounding how little ash is produced from so much wood! And, yes, all my wood fire ash goes on the flower beds.

Yep the log burner fire really burns well, it's hard to estimate how much wood I burn but it's over 20 loads of wood collected off the estate - I move far more for the keepers, owners etc. I cut the lot up in the winter for the following winter. I found some well dead oaks last winter and now with a large winch on the back fo the pickup I can pull out larger trees safely. I had say 5 tonne of this dry oak and when burnt it leaves no embers and little ash

I vary what wood I use; the very dry when cold and newer wood when I want the fire to stay in while we are out.

My log burner is a Stovax Sherraton, bit bigger than a std fireplace so had to chip out the sides of the fireplace to fit it in and fitted a 6" liner, this time of the year we go through 3-4 large baskets per day.

If anybody is fitting a new liner - check it is fitted the right way up. Be careful as in modern houses with double glazing it's easy to seal the place up - so with a kitchen extractor fan on it's possible to draw smoke back down the flue. Also for air to feed the fire I have wooden raised floor so drilled out x6 1.5" holes in the floor near the fireplace and fitted a raised grid over it (I stand the basket on), this allows an air feed, I also left the old cat flap in to act as an air balance flap.

One last tip is don't run the fire too low at night, I have had mine run so low smoke stoped going up the flue and CO gas built up down stairs - any sealed fire can do this + a blow back when openned.

Other wise, once fitted I would never be without a logburner, only one problem - can't get near it for dogs.