Lofting poles?

adam f

Can you guys help out with advice on these and how to use them?

I was out today and saw hundreds of pigeons in sitty trees and hedgerows. I tried 'roost' shooting them, but it was too hit and miss which tree they went into. I tried placing deeks out in the field next to the hedgerows but they took no notice... I felt that a few full bodied deeks in the tree above me might have helped?

Any advice?

Can you guys help out with advice on these and how to use them?

I was out today and saw hundreds of pigeons in sitty trees and hedgerows. I tried 'roost' shooting them, but it was too hit and miss which tree they went into. I tried placing deeks out in the field next to the hedgerows but they took no notice... I felt that a few full bodied deeks in the tree above me might have helped?

Any advice?

they work realy well mate will pull the birds your way or even encourage them to land in your chosen tree

just dont buy **** decoys what shin it will put them right off

I use fishing line with a weight on the end.

Use catapult or throw the weight up the tree over a high branch then pull a full bodied pigeon decoy up to the branch.

It doesn't seem to matter that the decoy is hanging under the branch it still pulls them in.

just more stuff to carry :no:

Sorry, but you are so wrong.

Once pigeon have been shot at and become wary, they tend to head for a suitable tree for a good look round before they go down to feed.

If there are lots of trees available then they tend to join their mates already in a tree.

So, if you get there early, then put some lofters up in a tree, and the pigeons come to join the party. It's all a matter of confidence and pigeons are social birds.

It's a work of 10 minutes to put lofters up, and then deeks on the floor nearby.This can make the difference between a good day and a bad day.

Don

• 1 month later...

Lofting is a little used method that I find works realy well.

I don't bother with it for roost shooting as the birds are comming to the wood anyway. I use it when all day shooting.

Before I start I will often setup "not necessarily where the birds are feeding", but on a flight line between.

I find that the lofted birds do not need to be right up the top of the tree, in fact a low 10 - 15 foot overhanging branch will do.

As most leaf has gone by now these lofters stand out so well. I try to get 3 - 4 lofters up a tree and shell decoys starting about 20 yds out in the rape. I use a flapper or rotor (optional) in between the tree and decoys leaveing a good gap between the rotor and the tree for the pigeon to land or they will go for the tree.

Either way the shot is on. Don't sit yourself directly under the decoy tree.

I am right handed so prefere to sit myself about 25- 30yds to the right hand side of this setup. That is all the decoys are to my left when facing the rape. This gives the shooter a good shot at the birds comming into the tree.

(Take care that you are not shooting straight up the hedge row and onto a dog walker).

I find on a bad shooting day lofting makes a hell of a differance.

One last thing. As you will be in the same hedge row as the lofters you will need to make extra care to keep your head/face out of sight as passing birds will spot you.

Prefection is wind at your back and sun as well.

Good shooting..Rob.

Edited by Rob2shot