How do you guys do it?

Kikkan

ok, so the decoys is just to get the pigeons attention really?

because its not that offen the pigeons that comes flying in has landing on there mind...

So the pattern is like just to get them to fly over and check it out, and if your lucky they come in for a landing?

And your saying if the birds just fly over, dont sit and wait for the birds to land, just shoot right?

When i set out decoys i expect birds to land among them but if they are in range shoot at them, remember when you set up decoys to leave space in the middle for pigeons to land some of the sponsers of this site have graphics showing you best set ups .

Neil

im not really sure about how offen they get shoot at, but maybe 5 times a day?

hehe just kidding, i think maybe the area is abit under average when it comes to hunting. But remember that im also new to this, and im sure ill get the hang of it soon. Hope the magnet (spinner) does the trick.

:D the space were their land is also called the killing zone 35-40 yards out, if they are not landing is this zone it means that they are not confident of the pattern do not be afrade to change :D:D

good advise. as a rule i wait until the first bird has landed.if one lands, let em have it. if they want to land but wont for some reason, change the pattern. even birds shot at a lot will still come in, when the time is right. just wish i knew when this time is.

Remember that birds are often with their mates, so don`t be too eager to shoot them if they are committed, because another may be dropping in at the same time, but unseen by you. The usual thing is to allow one to land, then take the next one, and then go for the lander as it gets up. Not always possible but nice when it comes off.

I like them to at least attempt to land then I know my pattern is OK. I`ve had them land less than five metres from the hide, look up at the dead birds perched, as if on stilts, on cradles, then start tearing at the crop. THEN I know there`s nowt wrong with my pattern.

Of course some buzz the deeks and are fair game, as crossers, provided they are within range!

I'm glad this question was asked (Hi by the way Kikkan!)

It's one of those things I have often pondered during a quiet day in the hide (as well as "is it time to attack that pork pie yet" and "should I have packed some toilet roll"), but have never really bothered to ask.

I have the unfortunate affliction of becoming a gibbering wreck when the local BIG flock starts to take an interest, and usually cant resist potting a couple before they settle. This is all well and good I find on windy days, but when I do it on a still day, thereafter Iwill only have my pork pie for company, thebirds having b*ggered off somewhere else.

I would definately back the "change your pattern" advice, andif I may add some of my own, dont leap out and start blasting away like Yosemite Sam when the birds first approach!

Pete