Cold Weather Shooting Ban

P~MX

i have to agree with ..woodcock 1.. on the fields where i live in NI there is grass showning and there are plenty of woodcock to be seen the snow has pushed the woodcock to lower ground .but also to help woodcock in there feeding we clearer the snow on the ground in places so they can still get feeding in the grass .we look for areas where woodcock has been feeding and this is where we clearer we have done this for years when there has been heavy snow .there is alot of heavy cover here for them to keep warm and out of snow if the cold weather does keep up we will cut down on the hunting of them .but for now i will be hunting away . last year there was a ban on duck shooting which i did agree with because duck had no water to go in to because it was froze over and they were in fields looking for food ,this was sad to see

Edited by woodcock3

i have to agree with ..woodcock 1.. on the the fields where i live in NI there is grass showning and there are plenty of woodcock to be seen the snow has pushed the woodcock to lower ground .but also to help woodcock in there feeding we clearer the snow on the ground in places so they can still get feeding in the grass .we look for areas where woodcock has been feeding and this is where we clearer we have done this for years when there has been heavy snow .there is alot of heavy cover here for them to keep warm and out of snow ,if the cold weather does keep up we will cut down on the hunting of them .but for now i will be hunting away . last year there was a ban on duck shooting which i agreed on because duck had no water to go on because it was frozen over and they were in feilds looking for food ,this was sad to see

the stataturory ban which will be imposed in NI this Thurday at 00.01 hours will include wildfowl and waders so you will not be able to shoot woodcock. Last year there was a loophole where snipe and woodcock were not protected but i think that this time it is covered. Its a bit sad becuase where i am from the conditions are good and there is very little snow, but in weather like this it is necessary.

No ducks and woodcock on saturday but pheasants are fed so hope it turns out to be a good day. Our ponds, here in scotland have been frozen for nearly a month and as such we didnt shoot 2 weeks ago either. Winters come early this year, usually nearer christmas we get this. was -13 driving home at 6pm tonight-thats just mad. in parts of the highlands it been colder than that at lunchtime this week!

Woodcock and snipe are not on the cold weather ban list in northern Ireland. They should be but stormont haven't got them on the list yet. Since the snow on Monday they have been losing condition (as i saw at a shoot today) and I would not consider them sporting.

Woodcock and snipe are not on the cold weather ban list in northern Ireland. They should be but stormont haven't got them on the list yet. Since the snow on Monday they have been losing condition (as i saw at a shoot today) and I would not consider them sporting.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/pressreleases.cfm/prid/80342D7F-46D1-4B75-881E999B4E70AD11

As Bop said although snipe and woodcock are waders they aren't actually on the list which I think is a disgrace. These birds are getting it really tough at the moment and I know a lot of people who will continue to shoot them because they are not on this list :angry:

Hi guys this would need clarified this is taken from BASC website

During a statutory suspension, it is illegal to shoot any ducks (including reared mallard), geese, waders (including woodcock and snipe), coots or moorhen.

I know N.Ireland have different laws but I was sure that snipe and Woodcok are protected and no one should be shooting them once a statutory ban is in place. In my opinion they should not be shooting them when there is a voluntary suspension in place. In fact disturbance of birds should be kept to a minimum.

If a woodcock is classed as a wader and waders are protected should they not be automatically be protected?

Now the ban is in place i will not be shooting on till its lifted i agree that if it say waders birds then woodcock are a part of this family and it should be stated on the list as that . its only right that they are left alone on till they have recoverd from this cold spell and start to get the feeding they need

Any good shootin man should know not to go out after any type of game or wild fowling bird in these adverse conditions, OK the snow might be gone and the ice might be melting but the birds we shoot have been under severe stress to stay alive and feed at least for two weeks now So surely they need at least one FULL weeks rest bite .

f3

Any good shootin man should know not to go out after any type of game or wild fowling bird in these adverse conditions, OK the snow might be gone and the ice might be melting but the birds we shoot have been under severe stress to stay alive and feed at least for two weeks now So surely they need at least one FULL weeks rest bite .

f3

Totally agree for wild birds; however, for reared pheasants which rely on hoppers for feeding, I think it is perfectly acceptable to continue to shoot them. I have to say though we are giving our pheasants a break this weekend. I can't see the ban lasting anymore than 7 days unless the weather turns cold again.

I see the forecast is givin several more days of snow and very cold weather from Thursday onwards just when it might have been possible to have this cold weather ban lifted when they were to review things on Thursday ~ what a ****** :no::no::no:

f3

We have been totally thawed for the best part of 4 or 5 days now, so the birds should be starting to recover. I think the weather at the weekend is not to be nearly as cold as it was last week.

http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/key_issues.cfm/cid/0E4129DD-791D-4722-A256194278DFDB1F I see they haven't lifted the ban in Northern Ireland. Fair enough if we get the bad weather they are talking about, also was our weather really that much more extreme than England (bear in mind England and Wales have lifted their voluntary restraint). I know I can still shoot Woodcock & Snipe as they aren't on the list, but I think this is a bit extreme considering in the Glens most of the area has been thawed for the best part of a week.

The only shooting in N.Ireland for a while will be on reared game, although woodcock and snipe are allowed I will not be shooting anything until 27th Dec when off for a walked up day on partridge and pheasant.

I know some areas are and have been less frozen than some but it looks like here in N.Ireland we will have to restrain ourselves.

Well with all the snow we here today I'd say that's all the shooting finished here to maybe Christmas unless there is a quick thaw ! I know woodcock and snipe aren't on the protection list for us and although I didn't do it myself I would not condemn anyone who shot the odd woodcock or snipe here last week, conditions have been almost perfect for a week there so I'd guess it was up to each individual to do what he thinks is right assuming he's shooting them to eat and not just for the sport of it. I personally will not be even out with the dog when there's so much snow around as I think if the birds have found a decent piece of cover they deserve to stay in it undisturbed. Hopefully this will be the end of the snow for the winter (although probably not) and we'll have the rest of the season to hunt in suitable sporting conditions.

f3

f3

You're absolutely right f3x3. I could not agree with you more about a respite period and I'd like to also say that from reading many posts on this thread I get the feeling that most shooters care strongly for the well-being of the quarry we hunt, wild or raised. This is admirable and can only strengthen our position as responsible, humane shooters.

We care for our quarry as passionately as many farmers care about their livestock.

A good point for the anti's to be aware of, I think :hmm:

Northern Ireland Environment Minister Edwin Poots has approved a second fourteen day statutory suspension in relation to the shooting of certain species of waterfowl. The suspension is coming into effect at 00:01 on Thursday 23 December and will last until 23:59 on Wednesday 5 January 2011.

A review of the suspension will take place after the first seven days.

During the statutory suspension in Northern Ireland it is against the law to shoot the waterfowl species listed below. Note that it is legal to shoot game birds but not reared duck. BASC has called on its members not to shoot woodcock or snipe even though they are not covered legally by the statutory suspension.

Ducks: gadwall, goldeneye, mallard, pintail, pochard, scaup. shoveler, teal, tufted duck, wigeon.

Geese: Canada, greylag, pink-footed.

Waders: Curlew, golden plover.

Same for Scotland :(

A new suspension will start 00:01hrs Friday 24th December and this will run until 23.59hrs on 6th January 2011 however this will be reviewed on Wednesday 29th December.

Ducks: gadwall, goldeneye, mallard, pintail, pochard, shoveler, teal, tufted duck, wigeon.

Waders: golden plover, woodcock, snipe.

Others: moorhen, coot.

Northern Ireland Environment Minister Edwin Poots has approved a second fourteen day statutory suspension in relation to the shooting of certain species of waterfowl. The suspension is coming into effect at 00:01 on Thursday 23 December and will last until 23:59 on Wednesday 5 January 2011.

A review of the suspension will take place after the first seven days.

During the statutory suspension in Northern Ireland it is against the law to shoot the waterfowl species listed below. Note that it is legal to shoot game birds but not reared duck. BASC has called on its members not to shoot woodcock or snipe even though they are not covered legally by the statutory suspension.

Ducks: gadwall, goldeneye, mallard, pintail, pochard, scaup. shoveler, teal, tufted duck, wigeon.

Waders: Curlew, golden plover.

Are these ***** for real not including Woodcock and snipe -- I'm so bloody angry !!!

f3

Poots announces lifting of temporary suspension of wildfowling in Northern Ireland

Environment Minister Edwin Poots today confirmed that the temporary suspension of shooting certain species of Wildfowl will be lifted from 23.59 hours on 31 December 2010.

The thaw since Boxing Day has allowed for improving ground and feeding conditions for local wildfowl.

During periods of prolonged severe weather species such as ducks, geese and waders have great difficulty in obtaining enough food to survive as the ground and areas of water are frozen restricting their natural foraging areas.

The Special Protection Order suspension which came into force from 00:01 on Thursday 23 December 2010 under the Wildlife (NI) Order 1985, was due to run for 14 days, but weather data received by the Department indicates that conditions will remain above freezing and that the conservation measures can be lifted.

The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC), Countryside Alliance Ireland (CAI) and the Scottish Association Country Sports (SACS) have been consulted on ending the suspension and are unanimous in their support for this action.

The Minister said: “As the people of Northern Ireland get back to normality following the worst winter weather for a generation we must also think of our wildlife. The thaw has improved conditions for feeding wildfowl and I have decided that hunting can be resumed from 1 January 2011.

“It has been especially encouraging to note the responsible attitude shown by shooting organisations such as BASC, Countryside Alliance Ireland and the Scottish Association for Country Sports throughout the freezing weather. True countryfolk know that wild birds require all their energy just to survive such harsh conditions. I respect the actions of all sports men and women who have respected the suspensions.”

Notes to editors:

1.The suspension on shooting wildfowl is being made through a Special Protection Order made under Article 4(10) of the Wildlife (NI) Order 1985.

2.Severe weather suspensions apply to all birds listed on part 2 of Schedule 1, and part 1 of Schedule 2 of the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. Species covered by the order are: Curlew, Duck, Tufted Gadwall, Goldeneye Goose, Canada Goose, Grey-lag Goose, Pink footed Mallard, Pintail Plover, Golden Pochard, Scaup, Shoveler, Teal and Wigeon.

3.All media enquiries should be directed to DOE Communications on 028 9054 0003. Out of office hours, please contact the Duty Press Officer via pager number 07699 715440 and your call will be returned.

ring basc and press option 5, england and wales back to day zero, and advicing to give waders and woodcock a bit longer to recover

ireland and scotland the ban is on till the 6th january, ive just come back from way up north the geese where struggling but getting

food from feeding with grazing sheep, looked liked the sheep where knocking the snow off to get down to the grass.

ring basc and press option 5, england and wales back to day zero, and advicing to give waders and woodcock a bit longer to recover

ireland and scotland the ban is on till the 6th january, ive just come back from way up north the geese where struggling but getting

food from feeding with grazing sheep, looked liked the sheep where knocking the snow off to get down to the grass.

Check out here http://www.basc.org.uk/en/media/key_issues.cfm/cid/0E4129DD-791D-4722-A256194278DFDB1F and Northern Ireland's ban ends at midnight new years eve. :good: