Airgun retailer

30-6

Who would you recommend to buy a combo off mail order?

Theairguncentre or Ramsbottom

The airguncentre seems to "tune" the gun before sending and give lifetime repair warranty, while Ramsbottom is cheaper.

Anybody dealt with them?, good or bad reports.

depending on what combo your looking for there is very little servicing required for modern air rifles, pull thru (when things dont fly straight) the ocasional O ring and a rub over with an oily rag after every use.

With the springers i would say send it away to have a tune out (steve pope aka venom) and that should be all it needs in the way of a service for many years (apart from pull thru and wipe with oily rag)

If you have a good gun shop close to you i would say give them as much support as possible, but failing that i would opt to go for JS ramsbottom, a good few of the lads have had rifles from him, one had a problem and srted out within a week!!!! (including postage there and back!)

but the airgun centre you can go in have a look around have a feel for the rifle there and most important you can pick thier brains over shooting!

ROB :thumbs:

Hi

I purchased my combo from Ramsbottoms. I can certainly recomend them for their helpfulness and service. They made a mistake on the order and sent the wrong mounts, but they sent me the correct ones out as soon as I contacted them. It proves that their human, and proves that their customer care is A1.

I would also recommend that if you have a good local shop then support them. After all, where are you going to pick up all the little everyday shooting items from? Lets face it, your not going to buy a £4 tin of pellets and then pay £4 postage are you?

I would have bought my combo from my local dealer but (1) he could not beat Ramsbottoms prices and (2) he kept annoying me with his attitude and his constant tales of his sexual conquests. I could have lived with it if he was a youth but when its an 80 year old ... urrrgh :thumbs: :lol::lol:

At the end of the day, choose the shop that is best for you. It all depends on your local service and your location. My local choice is 7 and 24 miles away, so I have little choice, especially when mail order companies guarantee you next day delivery!

Karl

Edited by Batmancaver

got to say i popped into my local gun shop today for a tin of pellets ended up walking out with a second hand tx200 LOL it was well used one but under 100 quid i just couldnt say no LOL he also had one of the nicest S410 in walnut i have ever seen!!!! he was looking for 465 including a decent scope, but it was the stock that really stood out on it, i have seen a good few walnut stocks but have to say this is about the best i have seen on any air arms!

when you buy mail order there is no telling what sort of stock your going to be getting no matter how much you pay, i have seen some beech stocks look a lot betetr than the more expensive walnut versions.

there are pros and cons about buying local as well as buying mail order, but with the new laws that look set to come into place in the near future mail order may become more expensive and there fore local shops may stand more chance of becoming more competative.

ROB :D

Thanks for all your comments.

I do support my local shop in a big way, to date I have bought 4 guns from him plus all sorts of bits and pieces, over the years I have spent a lot of money there. But the S200 I am thinking of buying is about £240 in Ramsbottom and £290 in my local shop :rolleyes: .

But yes I wholeheartdly agree with you to use the local shop, whatever they trade in, gunshop or baker or whatever, because we would be the first to moan if they were not there :rolleyes: .

Have you tried telling your local shop of your dilema. I have found if they can help you they will, they might split the difference or even come down to the price remember your business is important to them.

When you need something urgently Saturday morning before you go out its a pain in the **** if the local gunshop has closed due to lack of business.

Neil

Edited by nbd1

I agree with thosee who value friendly service and would always buy from a dealer as opposed to mail order.

I have been buying from my local gunshop, Guns International at Barnsley for the last 23 years and have always been greeted with a friendly welcome, coffee if I want one and they are always happy to chat.

The level of expertise here is superb as is the attention to detail. When i was 14 i just used to go in and read the books and they were still happy.

Run by Pat and Carl, lovely people.

Highly recommended,

Bindi

BAR in blackpool.

MCavoys in wigan, whilst he doesnt have a great stock of air rifles in, Tim and the staff will get you what ever you want. I was in and out of there for 2 weeks before I parted with the cash for my X2. The advice and support you get is great.

Obviously when you are comparing Mail order against your local shop, bear in mind that economy of scales plays a major part in the price you get. However, would you rather spend 450 over the phone, or 500 face to face down the road.

You know what I would do, have a look at what price you can get in the comics, go in and see your local retailer and ask him what he can do on it. If you have spent money on getting bits and bobs for him over the year them Im sure he would knock something off for you, it might not be the full 50 quid, but ifs its 25 or so, then I would buy from my local every time.

Oh, then put on P&P and the fact that you dont get any choice when you do it mail order, not too bad if your buying beech stocks, but if your doing wallnut then any shop worth its salt would give you a choice of what they have avaialble.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHOPS. Or you will be buying your rifles from Wallmart...

Who would you recommend to buy a combo off mail order?

Theairguncentre or Ramsbottom

The airguncentre seems to "tune" the gun before sending and give lifetime repair warranty, while Ramsbottom is cheaper.

Anybody dealt with them?, good or bad reports.

Try this link, they are based in blackpool and there combo's are cheap, iv dealt with them before and recieved a great service from them

http://www.airgunbuyer.com/

• 2 years later...
MCavoys in wigan, whilst he doesnt have a great stock of air rifles in, Tim and the staff will get you what ever you want. I was in and out of there for 2 weeks before I parted with the cash for my X2. The advice and support you get is great.

Agree - apart from what you mentioned about stock!!!. Last I was in they were discussing the airgun registration that they have to do - they have given in & are going electronic on their stock control but the girl there was sayin that it was going to be a huge task - they have between 600 - 700 guns in stock!

They were sayin that when they put their new airguns on the register they had 150 MORE NEW AIRGUNS than they thought they had!

The shop is small, so they can only display a tiny ammount of what they have - So, not seeing the gun I was looking for, I asked if they had one & Yes, they did s410 and to my surprise they had a choice of stock types & calibers !

Tim told me that they are looking for a bigger place and have been for some time - eyes open everyone!