Converting a safety from auto to manual

Daveo26

I am no expert, however my sbs is auto safety and the safety stopped working when the gun was opened then closed.

All that was wrong was that a rod very similar to the one in the picture had moved out of its clip and was missimg the safety when cocking the gun, and so the safety switch was not shoved back and made safe upon cocking.

My advice is not to make this change, i would just suggest,if for some reason you need the gun not to have an auto safety then just cock the gun and then immediatly turn it off, but i cannot think of any good reason to do this?

Why do you want to remove this safety feature?

Auto safety's are a pain in the ***** and I remove all of mine, usually with a hacksaw.

They don't make the gun any safer and are just a damned nuisance when you forget to switch it to fire.

I completly agree, iv never seen a use for auto safety's or really any safety's really.

I have seen someone changing chokes on a loaded gun and say its ok the safety is on!!!

A gun is either loaded or safe in my opinion.

The reason i want shut is because my o/u is manual and ill will keep forgetting on the sxs :yes:

I completly agree, iv never seen a use for auto safety's or really any safety's really.

I have seen someone changing chokes on a loaded gun and say its ok the safety is on!!!

The reason i want shut is because my o/u is manual and ill will keep forgetting on the sxs :yes:

Well I've done what you are looking to do but on an O/U, in retrospect it would have been more sensible to just unscrew it then it can be put back if needed

that is shocking :o

I have seen someone changing chokes on a loaded gun and say its ok the safety is on!!!A gun is either loaded or safe in my opinion.

This is the problem, people have faith in the safety. The fact is it only holds the triggers and not the sears. The gun can still fire if dropped or bumped hard.I have heard of guys getting shot when this happens.

The gun is only as safe as the person holding it. If you keep it broken until you are ready to shoot it is as safe as you can get.

I agree the auto safety is a pain in the ****. My SxS had a small push rod that I bent and job done. :good:

Im pleasantly supprised i though i would get slated for not liking safety catches.

It did indeed happen i was pigeon shooting with a chap and he decided to change the chokes on his loaded O/U.

I tried to explain that the gun could still go off :blink:

sitsinhedges, if you look the rod and safety bit is one piece so to disable it ill have to cut it, If i want it putting back to auto ill have to make a ner piece (unlikly)

Cheers for the replies fellas