Cartridges for ducks

scrob

Hi guys, I have an AYA No.2 with 28" barrels and a normal chamber (non magnum).

I don't do a lot of shooting, just sometimes for pigeons and sometimes for clays. However on my farm we have substantial drainage dykes that attract a few mallard which I wouldn't mind having a crack at. I currently lease the shooting rights to a club and would be interested in joining them on their next day out.

I understand that I need to use steel shot - can you tell me whether this will be ok in my little AYA? I have read online that steel shot can be a bit hard for some guns. If my gun is suitable, would a no.4 cartridge be suitable?

Thanks

Rob

you will have to use non toxic shot, this does not mean you will have to use steel

a few other options

bismuth, ok in any gun through any choke

32gram 5 s is what i use and it does the job for me

or you could get some tungsten, same again, any gun any choke it will be ok

More expensive than steel but better stopping power

if your AYA is in good condition (inside barrels) and choked less than half you will be ok putting a few steel cartridges through it

pellets no bigger than number 4 should be fine

i would suggest 32g 4s

As far as I know the gun is choked 1/4 and 1/2. It is a fresh gun in great condition.

I don't mind the cost of cartridges as I won't be buying many of them, so the other non toxics like tungsten or bismuth etc wouldn't put me off.

Maybe I'll look for tungsten if my shop has any and failing that I'll go steel.

As far as I know the gun is choked 1/4 and 1/2. It is a fresh gun in great condition.

I don't mind the cost of cartridges as I won't be buying many of them, so the other non toxics like tungsten or bismuth etc wouldn't put me off.

Maybe I'll look for tungsten if my shop has any and failing that I'll go steel.

See if you can get hold of some of these. They're made specifically for older, fixed choke guns.

http://www.hevishot.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=73

Guest cookoff013

Hi guys, I have an AYA No.2 with 28" barrels and a normal chamber (non magnum).

I don't do a lot of shooting, just sometimes for pigeons and sometimes for clays. However on my farm we have substantial drainage dykes that attract a few mallard which I wouldn't mind having a crack at. I currently lease the shooting rights to a club and would be interested in joining them on their next day out.

I understand that I need to use steel shot - can you tell me whether this will be ok in my little AYA? I have read online that steel shot can be a bit hard for some guns. If my gun is suitable, would a no.4 cartridge be suitable?

Thanks

Rob

bismuth ot tungsten matrix in a 5 or 4 would be ideal and safe.

both are expensive.

Guest cookoff013

I was given a box of 32gram 5s ITM, but I wont be replacing them when they're gone.

Scary to think that each time I empty a magazine it's nearly a fiver gone.

Esp if I don't hit anything with them :mad:

thats why i load steel, you could almost break even when you reload your own steel.

if you intend to reload steel, give me a yell, its not totally different from lead, but stick to the proper recipes and you`ll do fine.

thats why i load steel, you could almost break even when you reload your own steel.

if you intend to reload steel, give me a yell, its not totally different from lead, but stick to the proper recipes and you`ll do fine.

To be honest it's only one small stretch of river that I have access to that I would use them on, and if anything else flies past that doesn't need non tox it's just hard luck for me.

Guest cookoff013

when i first went out with bismuth shells, i had several shots (£7) and they fractured / dusted out the barrel.

they were a waste of money, thats why i`ve gone to steel. i should have bagged a few things but the ammo just wasnt up to it.

i personally hate bismuth.

• 4 months later...

I've been using Bismuth for a few years now with mixed results. In the main I'm shooting relatively close range flighted duck so don't have the problems faced by foreshore 'fowlers but I wasn't happy with the 32g loads, they brought them down but didn't kill cleanly.

After some experimentation with different loads and shot sizes I've been using Eley Alphamax 4's for a while now and am happy that they will do their bit if I do mine. Yes, they're expensive but given the few that I use they're worth it!