Crows, rooks and a muckheap

ferretmanabu

Hello guys. I'm after some advice on shooting the black things.

Every time I go to one of my fields in the morning to shoot pigeons, I have to cross a grass field which has a muckheap on it. Having not had much luck with the pigeons, I have noticed there are plenty of black ones flying about, especially around the muck heap. There is also a big tree near the muckheap.

Now, I don't have much in the way of decoys but I could shell out on one or two crow decoys.

Tactically, what would be the best way of decoying the birds? Any advice on decoy set up, hide construction and shooting tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Apart from building a slightly better hide, as rooks seem to have a bit more savvy than pigeons, I would approach the exercise the same as a pigeon decoying setup.

My theory about the intelligence and wariness of rooks and crows, is they appear so, because they live locally.

That means they are visiting the same areas daily and will notice anything out of the ordinary.

Although pigeons will stay in an area for a while, they do move across areas, Counties even Countries very frequently.

Ferret man what i tend to do is RECON the area for a day or to just to see how often the birds visist the place and at what times of day they come and go. Then i build a good hide because crows and magpies have pin sharp eye sight. I leave the hide for a few days for the birds to get used to the hide being there and not see it as a threat. I always shoot crows in the morning and get in position just before day break. That way your quarry is still a bit sleepy and not so awear of your presence. I have had quite large bags shooting crows way. I hope it helps you on your quest of a good shoot.

all the best Deputy Dog

Ps

If you have a rabbit handy split the guts open and leave it out where the crows can see it hopefully they will come to feed and you can send tem to corvid heaven. Happy hunting

Hello guys. I'm after some advice on shooting the black things.

Every time I go to one of my fields in the morning to shoot pigeons, I have to cross a grass field which has a muckheap on it. Having not had much luck with the pigeons, I have noticed there are plenty of black ones flying about, especially around the muck heap. There is also a big tree near the muckheap.

Now, I don't have much in the way of decoys but I could shell out on one or two crow decoys.

Tactically, what would be the best way of decoying the birds? Any advice on decoy set up, hide construction and shooting tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

simply if u can @ first shoot 2 or 3 blck ones, then arrange in a small semi circle facing away from the wind, place a full chicken egg in the centre of the semi cirlce, sit back wait for them to land, usually if u sit up wind you can shoot a few without the others moving!!

gud luk

:oops:

Spot on Lancs lad.

The only add-on that I would suggest is that to buy a big owl decoy, and put it next to the gutted rabbit.

You will need a shotgun, as they tend to hover right above the owl. They hate owls, and will sometimes swoop low to disturb the owl feasting on the rabbit.

As others have said though, you need a good hide, which is best left in place for a couple of days for them to get used to it. Also, use top cover for the hide if you can. leaving the minimum space to take a shot.

Don

To add to the good advice already given I would say that as soon as you have shot two rooks or crows put them onto the rotary if you have one. If you have a timer put the speed down to between 8-10 rpm.

Crows can be decoyed relatively easy in this fashion as they seem to lose all sense of caution watching two of their ilk circling round.

If you haven't got a rotary put freshly shot birds onto floaters.

hi, this is all brilliant stuff i needed to know this aswell, my old man asked me to sort out the rook/crow problem in one of his bean fields because the banger has packed up. think i'll put up a hide today and go back on wednesday, your right aswell those black ones are clever ******** and very jumpy, you cant get close to them easily

to people who shoot crows with shotgun: at what point do YOU shoot? as they are coming in to land, in sky coming over or when they land with the flock? ive never shot crows before, i've just been thinking because if you take them out when they land i may need to move my hide because the is a footpath opposite and although it would be very unlikely the shot would carry that far you never know do you

I quite often shoot blackies over a muck heap, the lucky thing is that an old pig trailer has been left overlooking the heap so perfect ready made hide. I normally put out a few full bodied deaks and once i have shot one stick it on a Shootwarehouse remote flapper, this seems to work ok. Even get a few pigeons comeing in as well.

As for when to shoot, I shoot them as they hover/circle. If they don't want to do that then as long as they are in range they have to have it!

I have also heard of the bright cuddly toy method but not tried it?

HAs anyone tried it? :yp:

Happy Hunting