hanging decoys

stubby

in my never ending quest to have a good day on the crows that fly across my permission, I had a quick read up on the crowbusters website, now as the crows crossing my permission are not feeding there, but coming to and throw from a local land fill site, crowbusters recomended a few tips for a successful day

firstly building the hide, twice as thick/good as you would for pigeons, something Ive not done in the past

secondly, using the large owl decoy, along with crow calls, to get them into a fighting/mobbing mood, now I have tried this before with little succuss, but Im hoping with the added 3rd tip, success may come

the third tip was to place a couple of crow decoys in a tree, overlooking (higher) than the owl decoy, now as I wanted to try all this out this coming friday, ordering the hangers for the deeks via the internet,wasent really an option, plus Im tight, if I think I can make it myself,

so using some 6mm studding I had in the garage, I carefully put some mild bends in, taking care not to snap it by doing sharp 90 degree bends, and put together two crows and a magpie hanging deeks, sprayed the studding black, and tried them out on the washing line, work great, even with the breeze we had today,

so fingers crossed, with all these tips in place, I'll have something to report friday afternoon :good:

Image0431.jpg

Edited by stubby

Worth a try. I too have one of those useless owls so will be good to know if we have a use for them now all Good luck I might try this out as well thanks for the Idea

Cheers Kenny

well the bloody rain put paid to this mornings planned shoot, but they reckon dry saturday, so Ill give them a go in the morning, cant wait, as Ive another thing to try out, a small video cam that straps to the barrel, and gives about 2hrs of video and sound, although Ill have to edit out all the misses :lol:

Image0436.jpg

Image0437.jpg

Image0438.jpg

how do you lift them up?

Ive got 7 x 4ft sections on old garden pergoda, that slot together, so the crows will get put up at around 28ft high, then remove a section and put the owl at around 24ft high, when removing, I have an old funnel that I tape to the end of poles, making it easy to get the rod inside the pole,

Image0108.jpg

It doesn't matter how you hang your decoys....they wont taste any better!

Sorry....couldn't resist. We tried an Eagle owl decoy once,one or two did actually 'mob' it,but it wasn't the success we hoped it would be.

Better results were with one of those cheap plastic magpie decoys and a split rabbit carcass.They did come down for a better look,which brings them within range.You may be able to rig up a cheap lofting pole with canes from B&Q or somewhere similar.

well, good and bad :blush:

at least it did'nt rain, but it was blowing a gale, force 10 I reckon,

firstly, I think crows are bloody intelligent, they must know days of the week, as they fly over my permission to feed on an adjoining landfill site, 5 days a week when the lorries are bringing new stuff into dump, theres at least 200 plus crows overhead, to and fro all day long, come the weekend when the landfill is shut, NOTHING, :no:

well, ok maybe 15 to 20 in a 4hr period, so I lofted the crows up around 20ft, the owl around 18ft, made my hide, yes crows came in for a really good look, not mobbing, but very slow fly by's, my first shot missed its mark, but definetly took some wing feathers as you could see as it flew away, a quick blast on the crow caller and he turned and came back, Ive never seen a crow return once spooked, so the deeks/caller must work, at this point, the force 10 gale I was on about, bent one of my hide poles and the hide came down on top of me :blush: looked like something from abbot & costello.

so, tally for the morning, ziltch :/

but, Im not giving up, Ill try again this friday, see if it will work on a weekday, fingers crossed

I did however get to try out my gun-cam, :lol:

works well, and will hopefully get some good footage of my misses :D , thats me missing the crows, not my mrs :D

Image0437.jpg