Chainsaw madness

woodcock11

Everyone starts somewhere and my own start meant reading lots and taking things one step at a time.

Even if you just look online and are a fairly practical chap, you can soon learn skills, and read up on future ones you need.

I went from cutting sections to felling, one step at a time, paid attention and used common sense (and good ppe).

:good:

Maybe we should stop people with out a driving license from buying a car / bike as well when we are at it ?.

I have used chainsaws for over 25 years and know that they can kill and also how to use them properly but do not have any certificate to show any one that i can. Yet have met quite a few so called tree surgens who have all the paper work and yet have no idea how to fell trees in a safe mannor i have even had to remove some from site because of the danger to them selfs and others.

Bob

Maybe we should stop people with out a driving license from buying a car / bike as well when we are at it ?.

I have used chainsaws for over 25 years and know that they can kill and also how to use them properly but do not have any certificate to show any one that i can. Yet have met quite a few so called tree surgens who have all the paper work and yet have no idea how to fell trees in a safe mannor i have even had to remove some from site because of the danger to them selfs and others.

Bob

The problem is you can buy one any where ,how long does it take you to have confidence with it ,know what you are doing,rights and wrongs ,I have seen professional web sites that offer celox a blood clotting granule ,I use a saw Frequently and I see more fear every year and add to my ppe collection ,what you take for granted a saw virgin would over look ,

The problem is you can buy one any where ,how long does it take you to have confidence with it ,know what you are doing,rights and wrongs ,I have seen professional web sites that offer celox a blood clotting granule ,I use a saw Frequently and I see more fear every year and add to my ppe collection ,what you take for granted a saw virgin would over look ,

Thats interesting didn't know you could get it. My first aid kit contained lots of big field dressings and a tourniquet for if the **** really hit the fan. oh and i wouldn't forget my whistle.

Dan

my proper helmet don't have a strap. think the ear defenders are meant to hold it on, i have got fairly large ears so it works for me :lol:

The aborist helmet oth stated have no peek and so are designed for climbing so you can see up and down, and include a chin strap,and yes some guys have celox and a gauze pad similar to a field dressing

How many people posting on this thread who shoot have done a dedicated firearms safety awareness training course and have the tickets to prove it?

How many people would complain if their firearms department revoked their FAC based on them not having the afforementioned tickets?

If you're dumb enough to pick up a chainsaw and use it in an unsafe manner then you deserve all that comes your way.

Another example of nannystate UK.............?

I'm afraid if you have to licence all chainsaws your going to have licence all power tools like nail guns hedgetrimmers, mowers, strimmers. Most chainsaws do have warning tickets if they don't abide by them its there own fault. There not breaking any law unless there working for somebody else.

If you're dumb enough to pick up a chainsaw and use it in an unsafe manner then you deserve all that comes your way.

Another example of nannystate UK.............?

Well said :good:

There is just no course or certificate to replace good old common sense. A certificate is no guarantee :no:

I find my self preservation instinct makes me try realy hard not to kill myself with any of the powered equipment or vehicles I use. :yes:

I'm afraid if you have to licence all chainsaws your going to have licence all power tools like nail guns hedgetrimmers, mowers, strimmers. Most chainsaws do have warning tickets if they don't abide by them its there own fault. There not breaking any law unless there working for somebody else.

I think there is medium ground here though, any change wouldn't have to be a licence based system. I hate the nanny state as much as the rest of um, but i do think if they are going to advertise tools like chainsaws especially in the likes of papers then there should be health warnings on the ad, something like "chainsaws can be dangerous and protective clothing should always be worn".

Or you have to wear all your ppe or buy it when you go to a shop to buy a saw. Personally i think this would be quite funny.

Of course all of what yiu can do doesn't sort out secondhand sales so maybe back to the drawing board.

Dan

Edited by reddan