Sorting Lamp Shy Charlies

pavman

Got called out to a small piggery i look after as Charlies been showing up and farmer was worried about weaners, sat out last night and had a right old game of peek a boo with one or more very lamp shy Foxes no chance to get a shot off. A couple of wide boys do rabbits next farm over and drive round with big spot lamps on which is fine for rabbits but if they take a pot at a charlie and miss and he comes my way there is little chance i can lamp them up to get a shot as they bolt as soon as they see the light....... so i got up early today and had a cuppa and panned about with the binos and found the culprits, Two dogs about 15 mins apart, had to turn the scope down to X5 to get enough light in which made it a tad difficult first one was at 235 second 212 went to work leaving a very happy farmer.......... sorry about the photo i dont seam able to reduce teh file size on my i phone so have to chop it down in order to post.

post-1500-0-53060900-1294663465.jpg

Nice one Pav..

Were they from the same place as the photo in RB's book ?

hey Gary, no not that one, this one is a small unit father and son run it they have just 60 acres with two sheds to fattern bullocks and piglets and the fields are used to grow Barley for feed. Charlies get round the pig shed looking for a free meal and cross the fields to go in and out. they have set me up a bail stack in a good place and i use that as my Rifle position as it gives 360 deg vantage, cant shoot towards the sheds so i have to catch them in the open :yp:

Nice shooting :good: what shade have you got on the scope?

stack of 4 standard 56 mm shades and a bit of plastic pipe on the end cut at an angle.... 4 was not quite enough to stop mod glare on the scope mounted 170 when fitted with a 100 watt globe normally in the 240 blits

good point Alex......yep it was off, i packed up and put it back on as i am off to another permission after work tonight and the threads are so fine i worry about damage so always replace soon as i can if its been off....... i then thought to take a pic before i left

now Mrs P is at uni she needs lots of quite study time....... :good:

stack of 4 standard 56 mm shades and a bit of plastic pipe on the end cut at an angle.... 4 was not quite enough to stop mod glare on the scope mounted 170 when fitted with a 100 watt globe normally in the 240 blits

nice going Pav :good:

Re glare;; try putting some insulation tape accross the bottom 1/2 -3/4 inch of the scope. i had the same problem :angry: went down the extended sunshade road. The tape sorted it out, oh ! and its a hell of allot cheaper :good: wont cost you to try.

nice going Pav :good:

Re glare;; try putting some insulation tape accross the bottom 1/2 -3/4 inch of the scope. i had the same problem :angry: went down the extended sunshade road. The tape sorted it out, oh ! and its a hell of allot cheaper :good: wont cost you to try.

Nice tip thanks Dougy and about the only one i may not have tried :hmm:

Nice going pav..

I think there are loads more lamp shy charlies about due to the fact that everyone and there dog(sometimes literally)are out there shinning about the place,where as back in the day there wasnt many at it.

A fox that doesnt head for the exit is a rare one now.