Pheasant preparation

Blackpowder

Having processed at least hundreds of pheasants over the years I still seem to have difficulty in cleanly drawing the leg sinews every time. Sometiimes its snap - twist and the complete sinew thing is withdrawn at others its a tug o' war and the sinews stay in the lag. So is there a sure fire way of twisting the leg once the joint has been snapped to give a clean sinew less leg every time?

Thanks Blackpowder

Too fiddly, I never bother just cut the breasts off and the rest is fox bait :yes::lol:

Throwing away the legs is a total waste of good meat and what I consider the best eating meat on the pheasant. Rascal that video clip is magic, it appears so simple and after years of breaking the "knee" joint and wrestling , twisting and pulling I cant wait for next week to give that a try. Thanks for posting.

Blackpowder

The guy in the video has the right idea. Ideally a V shaped hook screwed to the wall about five feet from the floor does the trick. The V holds the foot and you can use your body weight to easily pull the sinews. These hooks would be available from a butchers suppliers.

When I worked in a fishmongers (30 years ago) we used to sell poultry and game as well. There was a machine on the wall comprising a v-shaped notch and a lever. You put the bird's leg in the notch, and then the lever would grip and pull. Sounds much the same action as you describe.