Decent bag on rape

proTOM1

Had a call yesterday afternoon from a farmer asking me if i could come shoot his rape toady , I normal shoot this land on a monday due to a big shoot next door but the farmer had cleared it for 1 day with the keeper .

Anyway got there later than i wanted and as i got to the field it was hissing it down so i sat and watched ,nothing moving and nothing on but could see a few in the trees .It stopped at 10.45 am and a few came out not many but i said i would shoot it so off i went to an old oak where the flightline runs .

I was setup with hide and my pattern of 26 shells in 2 groups about 10 yards apart but like a plank had left the deads for the magnet in the truck .

After 5 mins birds started to show but would not come in so i had 2 longish shots to get the wheels moving ,with the magnet up they poured in in small groups and some very large groups of over 100 at some points :oops: It started to rain again at 12.30pm but they kept coming till 1.30 pm when it really came down so at 2pm i packed up having had a nice few hours sport and for a change i had shot like i know i can :rolleyes:

Final bag was 52 woodies and a silly feral :good: For 67 shots :D

post-12734-0-77856000-1294857312.jpg

Edited by proTOM1

nice 1 :good: more than a decent bag in them conditions good cart to kill ratio to..we are out tomorrow on some rape so see how it goes.

Good luck mate :good:

you flash begger.lol i best get down the range to up my shot ratio.

nice work there though tom

:P you did ok the other day mate :yes:

Phil

Well done Tom cant wait when the keeper in cotwolds stop feeding the rides masses to shot this year :good: .

OTH

Tell me about it been watching a rape field on the estate for the last month every day there is well over 4000 hitting it , if it was not for the snow covering it for awhile it would all be gone by now im sure :yes:

Not long now tho :good:

can i ask how long the rape is as im not getting any look on the rape it is only about 3 inches long and they don't seem to be feeding and cant get them to decoy i know you should be looking for flight lines but its not a big field an im limited on the land i can shoot this time of year

can i ask how long the rape is as im not getting any look on the rape it is only about 3 inches long and they don't seem to be feeding and cant get them to decoy i know you should be looking for flight lines but its not a big field an im limited on the land i can shoot this time of year

The field i was on today was very patchy some of the rape around the edge is over 5inches but some is as low as 2 inches .

With it being a small field your shooting over you still wont to be looking for the flight line in and out of the field aswell as where the birds are dropping in to feed :good:

Out of interest Tom where do you put your magnet in relation to your decoys

thanks

doc

Today i had my pattern about 10 yards infront of the hide with 2 groups of decoys with a gap of about 10yards for the birds to drop into and my magnet today was only about 3 yards infront of the decoys dead centre :good: