fourtrak feildman

bignoel

Just fit a second battery and a split charger relay kit, readily available from motorhome shops/ebay.

Dead easy to fit and means you won't drain the car battery when using the 'leisure' battery. Most big diesel motors have huge alternators as standard, so will easily cope with recharging both :good:

My fourtrak has a Lorry battery. Works a treat, I do the same kinda stuff as yourself.

Your next step after lorry battery is split charging system as mentioned above. You could take it out of an old Hilux.

Last option is not a bigger alternator but a second one. I checked and it could be done by someone with a bit of talent, but you'll need a second idler pulley as well. It could be done but the other options are way easier.

Your battery should be fine mate my Defender runs an incar pc 15" screen,reverse camera 7" screen, lightforce 170 roof mounted lamp, 4 75 watt spot lights and all the standard stuff a Defender has. This is also only used as a shooting truck as I use the car for work so sometimes it stands for 2-3 days without moving and it starts first time every time.

Noel, at a guess your alternator is probably capable of knocking out 55amp at 14.4 volts, thats more than 790 watts of power, alternators don't need the engine to be spinning fast to produce close to peak power, in fact most are very efficient just above 1000rpm engine speed, so trundling around the farm should be just fine, the light force sucks up between 55 and 100 watts depending on which model you have, the head lamps 55 watt a piece, heater motor may be 250 watt, side light bulbs 5 watt a piece so should be plenty of juice left to charge the battery :good:

make sure your fan belt is adjusted up and the battery is good :good:

Edited by Paul223

I would say a normal diesel alt gives more, my 1.7 astra TD is 75 amp, my Renault Master 2.5 TD is 90 Amp :good:

replaced the van one last year, and the astra last week. The astra internal regulator had gone, it was giving 18 volts! Luckily I noticed how bright the lights were when I revved it and gave it a check, as above, max should be 14.5 ish Volts with 12 or more at tickover.

Test your car, dead easy with a £5 multimeter, if alls well I'd defo go for the leisure battery and split charger option, that way you will never drain your main battery :good:

Edited by jacksdad

no she is like a vampire she only goes out after dark . and guess this is why she drains the battery lights radio heater all on .she was idleing at 6000 revs but have turnd it up to 9000revs to see if this will help certainly runs smoother :good:

cor blimy that must be a quick fourtrak

or do you mean 900rpm :yes::lol:

are you doing lots of start and stoping the engine :hmm: