Furthest confirmed kill and equipment used

NorfolkPoacher

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a bloody long way!! good shooting. what glass were you using? how do find your homeloads perform in terms of trajectory, what drop form zero do you get at say 400 yards? sorry about all the questions im going to start reloading soon and am curious as the the benefits not just the cost saving, atb Dave.

Hi Dave I was using a swarovski 8x56 with illuminated reticle. I load 70gr nosler B/T with 40gr varget in lapua brass. They are flat out to 200 yards as for drop at 400 im not to sure about five to six inches last year we shot over 170 fox's a lot were over 150 yards so I just kept pushing it out we had three over 300 yards to be fair I don't know what I gave it over I just guessed five inches and pulled the trigger. As for the benefits for cost saving I think my rounds cost more than what I could pay for them in the shop but they are far more accurate. Good luck with your reloading :good:

A fox at 358 yrds off the bonnet of the jeep using a remmy 700 VSSF in .22/250,Nightforce 5.5-22x56 and home-loads, 37gn Varget and 55grn ballistic tips.The fox was curled up sleeping so gave a whistle to identify to which it looked up but then went back to sleep (for good).This was in June early evening.

Edited by Cushies

Hi Dave I was using a swarovski 8x56 with illuminated reticle. I load 70gr nosler B/T with 40gr varget in lapua brass. They are flat out to 200 yards as for drop at 400 im not to sure about five to six inches last year we shot over 170 fox's a lot were over 150 yards so I just kept pushing it out we had three over 300 yards to be fair I don't know what I gave it over I just guessed five inches and pulled the trigger. As for the benefits for cost saving I think mrounds cost more than what I could pay for them in the

shop but they are far more accurate. Good luck with your

reloading :good:

cheers, I just hope I get my combos right so my re loads aren't worse then factory ammo!! Being an average shot do you think I will be good enough to see the advantages? Most of my foxes are at the 150 yard range and 90% around 11pm. Tends to run like clock work

Hi dave,my 700 wouldn't group with 90's,but is spot on with 100's.I haven't tried Privi ammo,(and my local RFD refuses to stock them!)but a mate sometimes uses them through his .223 Tikka T3 when we're 'playing around'.He seems to think they're ok.Incidently his longest shot was with his T3(think he was using Sako ammo)when he pinged a rabbit at 326 yds/metres(?)with his range-finder,which he'd already dialled the bullet weight into....this told him the

'hold-over' required.It didn't even move,and when we got

there the front end was only just attached to the back

end.Superb shot.

That's interesting what 100's and 90grn were you using? What rangefinder was he using? it sounds expensive!!

I have only ever shot a handful of any live quarry over 300 yards.

Reasonable numbers between 200-300yards but the majority under 200, probably the majority under 100 actually.

Nevertheless, to date 3 shots stick in my mind, a .223, 172 yard rabbit shot witnessed by 2 others at 02.00 on a mid winters freezing morning off a cold wet metal farm gate, ankle deep in mud, mist rolling in and out at a blink, after some 13 hours in the field and looking total exhaustion in the face, BANG, rabbit down neat hole, heart missing...circumstances not distance! :good: ! 194 yard baby rabbit with the .22lr with subs off a wooden ranch fence (this was shortly after a session as 200 yards at Bisley with the same setup) and a witnessed and rangefinder checked .17HMR 258 yard bipod rabbit shot!

:good:

PS

I am not interested in p*****g contests, I know several people who are better shots than me, but over the years circumstances and situations sometimes come together to give opportunities! :good:

16000m using a 105mm Light Gun, charge super, against an Iraqi mortar crew. Still got their heads hanging in the study and a baccy pouch made from their scrotums.

Okay then, Honest John battlefield missile 17km's :good:

Didn't kill anything (well maybe ants). The warhead was filled with concrete. :lol:

Edited by DaveK

Accidental 77 yards with a spring powered .22 air rifle. A few years ago I was trying to keep a couple pigeons from setteling too far from my decoys and I aimed (I thought) way over their heads to kick-up some dust behind them and hopefully move them towards me but only one flew and the other dropped on the spot - hit it in the neck just below the skull. I'm more careful now.

shot a young vixen last year with my 243 at between 300-350yds off the bonnet of my truck wiith the rifle on sand bags, I didnt think it was that far away or i dont think i would have taken the shot on, i just aimed between its ears and squeezed the trigger the 75gn v-max did the rest, range estimation is so difficult at night unless you know the ground and fixed points like trees and gates etc, charlie didnt look very big at that range through my 8x50 swaro

mike