cold cartridges

i left a couple of boxes of cartridges in the garage last night (1 of them flimsy thin walled ones with no insulation)

the temp dropped below freezing during the night, so it would of in the garage..

will this affect the cartridges at all?

Its a known fact that cold cartridges will perform marginally below the norm ,as hot cartridges will perform marginally above the norm . This is due to the temprature of the propellent . You would have to be very diserning to notice the difference .

Harnser .

and that forum members is why I keep missing :D:D:D

A powder charge produces less pressure at cold temperatures, with a 12gauge you will not notice, in matter of fact they might even have a tighter pattern. With a centrefire cartridge you will notice the differance. I was given some homeloads from my father who is in his eighties, he was cleaning out the attic, they must be at least 20yrs old and exposed to extreme temps, all worked fine.

Temperature storage of carts is a bit like wine, keep them at the right temperature if you can i.e. 15-25 centigrade would be fine, but above / below that expect performance differences. Hot carts from a closed car on a hot day may have less progressive detonation and blow the pattern a bit, cold ones are liable to absorb moisture and lack performance due to incomplete powder burns ( and leave lots of sawdust looking residue in the chamber / barrel). Humidity is the real killer, damp carts definitely under perform, so keeping dry is the most important thing.

Guest cookoff013

as alot of folkes live in colder climates than here. reloading for temperatures is an issue.

loads above 9,000psi are not as temperature sensetive as loads below this. if the powder is a rempreature affected one. keeping the psi up is always an issue. blue dot in shot shells is very famous for this. often going from a "hot" primer, to a "magnum" shot shell type can help. but always follow loading data directly.

i`ve even heard of guys using 2grains of red dot to get the psi high enough for complete burn. ( DO NOT DO THIS. EVER !)

light cartridges like 12gauge 21g loads need a good 10000 psi to burn well in every weather condition.

normal loads loaded safely here in uk, can and may be too much pressure in spain / italy etc. where the starting temp is hotter.

ps temperature cycling of powders can make them irratic.