Does a Change of Barrel Require Proofing?

Billy.

Just got back from buying a new sound mod and the guy in the shop was adamant that a change of barrel on a rifle requires a proofhouse stamp.

I've got a new one enroute and I'm sure that the process of swapping a Remington 700 barrel for an identical (but fluted) Remington 700 barrel would not need proofing.

Anyone know?'

I don't know is my answer, but I fail to see how changing a barrel can have any effect on a rifles structural integrity.

That being the case, so long as the new barrel is already proofed I see no reason for the rifle with a new barrel to be reproofed!

Perhaps there is another arguement/reason, this could be interesting! :hmm:

Just got back from buying a new sound mod and the guy in the shop was adamant that a change of barrel on a rifle requires a proofhouse stamp.

I've got a new one enroute and I'm sure that the process of swapping a Remington 700 barrel for an identical (but fluted) Remington 700 barrel would not need proofing.

Anyone know?'

Hi Billy where is the new barrel coming from, if it is coming from the US it would probably need proofing if you sold the rifle. You do not need proof if you are using it yourself.I have a remington which i brought in from the states and it has never been proofed at all

Geordie

Hi,

I don't know about this specific case either. However, for whatever reason, if an imported gun had to go through the proof house prior to sale in the UK, then it would make sense that any replacement component subject to pressure and from the same source should be similarly tested.

Cheers

Edit: Geordieh, you weren't there when I started typing!

Edited by wymberley

any alteration to the pressure bearing components will require reproof,to fit your new barrel a gunsmith may well have to do some lathe work to get everything to lock up correctly, do you really fancy using a gun out of proof, it's not like cutting a thread on the end of the barrel for a mod were the risk is minimal, we are talking 60,000 pound per square inch of pressure six inches in front of your face right where you've just had work done, I'd be spending a couple of quid on the proof and have piece of mind

Edited by Paul223

Anyone know?'

No it wont need re-proving, it will already carry a proof mark from its previuos application.

When you buy an additional barrel for a Blaser, Sako Quad or other rifle with interchangeable barrel system they do not need to be proved when you fit a different barrel to your rifle

However fitting this barrel will have other issues that must be addressed.

Are you going to fit the barrel yourself?

If so you must use correct headspace gauges to set the headspace to within the limits, you might find that after tightening the barrel into place that it is out of tolerence and will have to be adjusted.

This will have to be done in a lathe so that correct headspace can be achieved.

Once fitted you do not need to have proof for your own use.

Re-proving the rifle before sale is a grey area as many will say that the integrity of the barrel has not been compromised by the alteration to adjust headspace.

If you are not sure when you come to sell the rifle then get it proved.

Ian.

No it wont need re-proving, it will already carry a proof mark from its previuos application.

When you buy an additional barrel for a Blaser, Sako Quad or other rifle with interchangeable barrel system they do not need to be proved when you fit a different barrel to your rifle

However fitting this barrel will have other issues that must be addressed.

Are you going to fit the barrel yourself?

If so you must use correct headspace gauges to set the headspace to within the limits, you might find that after tightening the barrel into place that it is out of tolerence and will have to be adjusted.

This will have to be done in a lathe so that correct headspace can be achieved.

Once fitted you do not need to have proof for your own use.

Re-proving the rifle before sale is a grey area as many will say that the integrity of the barrel has not been compromised by the alteration to adjust headspace.

If you are not sure when you come to sell the rifle then get it proved.

Ian.

Hi All

I was just going to say most of that

Geordie