Black Powder

The wonders of the internet and evilbay have got me wondering on the viability of making my own black powder! All the ingredients are readily available for minimal money but does it work as well as pyrodex??? Anybody had a go at making some and if so what were the results? Also how do we stand with the legality of owning our own homemade powder?

Looking forward to your thoughts

Regards

Graham

I saw a Mythbusters episode once where they made black powder from scratch and it isnt as easy as you think.You have to get the ratios right otherwise it dont have the desired effect and on the programme they were prohibited in disclosing this information.

The bods on Mythbusters couldnt get it right.

Put it this way. You'd have to be an idiot to muck up the ratios.

Instead of the three chemicals that make it up, just take the important one and mix it with sugar.

Half and half will do. That will make a rocket engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaN8jVgmTtc

Put it this way. You'd have to be an idiot to muck up the ratios.

Instead of the three chemicals that make it up, just take the important one and mix it with sugar.

Half and half will do. That will make a rocket engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaN8jVgmTtc

Mmmmm...very impressive.... how fast would that push 1 1/2oz of lead lol

Don't even think about it! Not only is it dangerous, it's illegal and one of the surest ways to lose your licence and tar us all with the same brush! Some youngster may lose his sight, fingers or life. (The mods ought to remove all traces of this thread imho.)

Edited by Floating Chamber

The Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005

--

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to —

(a)

the manufacture of explosives for the purpose of laboratory analysis, testing, demonstration or experimentation (but not for practical use or sale) where the total quantity of explosives being manufactured at any time does not exceed 100 grams, but nothing in this sub-paragraph shall be taken as authorising any acquisition or keeping of explosives for which an explosives certificate is required by virtue of regulation 7 of those Regulations, without such a certificate;

--

So, I can keep the separate bits. Mix them. Experiment and that's fine.

What I can't do, is make it and store it.

The Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005

--

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to —

(a)

the manufacture of explosives for the purpose of laboratory analysis, testing, demonstration or experimentation (but not for practical use or sale) where the total quantity of explosives being manufactured at any time does not exceed 100 grams, but nothing in this sub-paragraph shall be taken as authorising any acquisition or keeping of explosives for which an explosives certificate is required by virtue of regulation 7 of those Regulations, without such a certificate;

--

So, I can keep the separate bits. Mix them. Experiment and that's fine.

What I can't do, is make it and store it.

Were you Guy Fawkes in a previous life? :hmm:

Hi,

Firstly read the reply from Floating Chamber.

I assume that you have a Shotgun Certificate and this will allow you to buy black powder cartridges perfectly legally.

However the legal situation is that if you wish to purchase black powder loose in powder form then you must hold an Explosives Licence that states the types of black powder that you wish to obtain.

The Explosive Licence comes in two types, one will allow you to "Acquire and Keep" and the other to "Acquire only".

This might seem strange but Acquire Only allows you to use black powder for, say, re-enactment displays but does NOT allow you to take it home and store it.

"Acquire and Keep" allows use and storage at home but the storage facility must be in a certified wooden box made to spectifications published by the HSE and the police who will want to view your storage facility BEFORE they will grant you an Explosive Licence.

If you then wish to transport black powder you will also need to obtain a document called a RCA certificate from the HSE Authority which will allow you to transport powder.

If you hold, store and transport black powder without this documentation then you are most definately breaking the law so don't say you have not been warned.

If you are caught with blackpowder and you do not have the required certification and authority these you will most certainly see the inside of the Magistrates Court and you will kiss your Shotgun Certificate goodbye.

Powderhorn, the law states that so long as you plan to use the propellant in the creation of firearms, you do not need a licence, so long as you don't have over 2 kilos of propellant.

If you don't believe me, it's written here

Honestly... People on this forum pussyfoot around the police. It wouldn't surprise me if some people got on their knees every time a police officer walked near them and cried "I'm not worthy"

The constant singing of "goodbye SGC/FAC" just makes me laugh. I know of countless people who have been done for drink driving and other stuff that you'd think would get your firearms taken from you, have they lost their licences, no.

Edited by Billy.

Powderhorn, the law states that so long as you plan to use the propellant in the creation of firearms, you do not need a licence, so long as you don't have over 2 kilos of propellant.

If you don't believe me, it's written here

Honestly... People on this forum pussyfoot around the police. It wouldn't surprise me if some people got on their knees every time a police officer walked near them and cried "I'm not worthy"

The constant singing of "goodbye SGC/FAC" just makes me laugh. I know of countless people who have been done for drink driving and other stuff that you'd think would get your firearms taken from you, have they lost their licences, no.

What he said. Man up chaps.