Black Powder

In theory it's simple enough to make, but at the small that's legal scale a fraction of a gram can make a huge difference to the ratio. The chemicals are readily available (KN03, sulphur and charcoal), but the equipment required like a ball mill, very accurate scales, and mesh to grade it can be expensive. And the last thing you want is the ball mill to blow up when milling the powder, but that's very unlikely, but I would do it in a concrete box of some sort! If you feel confident with it, and you know the laws regarding it inside out, go for it. Just stay on the right side of them.

Henry Kranks sell their own for £14a pound, why go through all the hassle? Plus if you get it wrong, you'll never be able to pick your nose again!

That's a bit like saying "What's the point in reloading? If you get it wrong, you could destroy your gun."

Yes, if not done correctly, it's dangerous, but if done properly, it's fine. BP isn't a touch explosive - it's very very stable.

The point I was trying to make is, that it's not practical to try and make your own. It would probably cost a small fortune to set up to make it on a usable scale. To make it behave consistantly is probably beyond most of us and there are enough variables in BP shooting without having to worry about your powder.

The point I was trying to make is, that it's not practical to try and make your own. It would probably cost a small fortune to set up to make it on a usable scale. To make it behave consistantly is probably beyond most of us and there are enough variables in BP shooting without having to worry about your powder.

I'm sure it'd just cost you more of your time than money trying to perfect your mixture.

99.9% pure KNo3 is about £10 for a 2kg bag

******* is pennies ;) I'm not giving you the ingredients, as I'll be to blame if you do kill yourself :lol:

and charcoal - well, pennies also.

So for about £12 you can make over 3kgs of BP. Try getting it that cheap from your RFD

I used to experiment with all sorts of pyrotechnics in my teens. I made black powder quite successfully, as well as various coloured flash powders (transformation fires as they were once known). I made rocket drivers, including tipped with a flash or sound emitting and had a right good time, and never came close to hurting myself.

However, I wouldn't even begin to do that now! :) I do recall my Dad asking me when I was going to grow out of that hobby. Well, I did but only up to a point, as that was just a small part of what became a career!

i can remeber my uncle brue makeing some for a brass black powber cannon he had we got hold of some and filled a red bull can with it (as you do when your young!)we lit it in the shed and my god what a show it set off across the shed like a scud missile (well to our young minds) and then set a bin bag of shaveings on fire, now what could i blow up with 3kg :blink: :blink: