Crow decoying

kevin15

Owls are good at times,it helps if you can shoot a one first and put it at the owls feet,they will go mad then.Have you got a rotor,that may be worth a try,when you say they wont decoy are the just not interested or are they shying away from your seeks?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they do fly round a bit to checkthe coast is clear,i just try and sit completly still until a shotis on and also wear all the gear (face veil,gloves etc)your hide has to be spot on,i find most will see you if they circle and come in from behind you(maybe if the hide is standing a bit proud of a hedge)windy weather is usually best as they comein quick and tend to commit a bit quicker.The first ones are allways the hardest once you have a few and start to bulk up the pattern you find others will usually follow

Neil,

We tried it on crows and it was great, but we can't import it cheap enough.

We then decided to show it at the Gamekeepers fair, but people just looked at it boggle eyed and said "what the **** is that?!" :devil:???

Still looking at the possibility of making it, but its all about convincing people that it works...not easy... :)

Thanks guys for the tips and advice.

My hide is the J Batley type (Well I bought it off him) it did stand proud but had a roof so I thought it would do the job, but its back to the drawing board on that one for me. I have thought about making a crow decoy with a motor in ot to make the wings turn, a little like those duck things in the USA. Going to use a lofting pigeon painted black. When I get time I will let you all know how it gets on. :devil:???

Expensive! :devil:  ??? ...lol...

The price of this item, from pigeonmagnet.com is £78.

As always, the customer is king and decides where to spend his money...hope Cranners won't tell me off.. :D

Deako.

I'm interested why you keep quoting prices off the pigeonmagnet.com website?

You do realise that this is a foreign site owned and operated by "Richards Agency" in Holland who are the European representatives of Pigeon Magnet. What they sell for in Holland or the rest of Europe has absoluteley no relation to what the peckers sell for over here in the UK. Their pricing seems high I know but hey thats their choice, but its still unrealistic to quote prices from outside the UK.

Pigeonmagnet.co.uk is ( or more like was ) the uk site and showed prices along the lines of what you, Withrange Ltd and ourselves here at S.D.W. sell a pigeon or crow pecker for, approx £45-£50 and as far as I know there's only three main producers/retailers of "the pecker" in England ( ignoring that "pecking percy" thing ).

Knowing first hand how much work goes into making one of the peckers they are very good value for money regardless of where you buy it in the UK.

"Disclaimer: This is a product-plug free post :) "

Sorry guys you can't buy anything from crowbusters or at least you couldn't when I tried. They cancellede my order cos I was outside the USA and suggested I made friends with someone so that they could ship it to me. Not really why you make friends in my book.

If you guys are ordered and receiving goods let me know, I want some :D:D

On a slightly different issue it might be good to start a thread to discuss the cost of goods here in the UK versus Europe and of course that land of greatness :devil: the USA. But only if we can all keep our tempers ???:)

I for one will always source my products from the USA (mainly) but I guess abroad would be more accurate for the following reasons:

1. They (in my experience) are always cheaper

2. The level of service and support is first class

3. Quality of product seems to be better

4. IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I am made to feel wanted and valued

Just a thought!

Only problem with US imports is customs when they get here.

Thats what makes it difficult to import and export lowish priced shooting items to/from the States.

The fact is, the UK will always be more expensive for most shooting gear than the US, and the only way to break the circle is to import in BIG quantities...which, of course, is expensive. :<