what are they????

hi all, i dug these out the other day from the brass collection. im not sure but they look like they may be 4 bore cases. the cases seem to be too thin to be rifle use and the ends of the cases seem to have had a roll over crimp put on them. both are empty but appear to still be primed. any info much appreciated. steve.

DSCF2548.jpg

DSCF2546.jpg

DSCF2545.jpg

DSCF2543.jpg

Edited by foxbasher

if they are 4 bore loads, any ideas on the best place to sell them. i saw one go on ebay a while back but i think it was an eley or something. i think it went for about £30 or something. not sure id be able to put these on there though as they appear to still be primed.

ive had a google look and cant seem to find out much about them, also there doesnt seem to be many uk sites for cartridge collectors??.

cheers, steve.

Post it on cartridge collectors forum (the IAA), you might find they are quite interesting, and valuable. There is a stab crimp about an inch down which indicates to me that they once held a solid projectile. There were such things as 4 bore solids used to shoot Cape Buffalo and the like. They fired a 2000 grain bullet.

Rather rare and very collectable.

On the other hand they might be some sort of flare cartridge.

Edited by Vince Green

Hi,

We have a man who'll probably know if he can tear himself away from his own 4.

Cheers

Managed to tear myself away from the 4.

Right without you measuring across the cartridge with a vernier or micrometer I can't tell you the actual bore,but I know the headstamp KNM

Kings Norton Metal Co., Birmingham, UK. This company was formed in 1890 at Kings Norton, it owned its own rolling mills and had a loading plant at Abbey wood in Kent. Cases were made in Birmingham then assembled and loaded at the Abbey Wood Factory, next to Woolwich Arsenal.

Produced .303 cartridges up to 1919 in... Armour Piercing VII.F, VII.FZ and VII.W

Ball, Cordite Mks 2, 4, 5, 6, 7

Ball, Match

Ball, Nitro-cellulose Mk 7Z

Blank Cordite Mk 5

Bulleted Blank Mk 6

Dummy, Drill Mk 3, Mk 3 Expedient, Mk 5

Explosive RTS (VII.R) Mk 2

Incendiary BIK (VII.K) Mk 1

Incendiary Buckingham (VII.B) and B Mk 3

Tracer SPG Mk VIIG Mk 1 and Mk 1Z

Experimental RTT Explosive Cartridge

Experimental Blank Cartridges

Please note that the above information was copied and pasted from another forum but knowing the headstamp aided me with what I needed to enter into google.

Mike...