AT LONG,LONG LAST!

motty

Well it has been a long time since i have had a reasonable day's decoying. The last day of any note was last August(!) on the rape stubble (176). I have had a couple of goes at pigeons on the rape this year with a best score only just into double figures.I'm leaving the rape for a few more weeks, until the pigeons start to play ball.

So it was with joy that i saw one of my favourite fields starting to be harvested. I've had at least 10 100+ days on this field in recent years. It was sugar beet that was being taken up. Last year on the other half of the field we shot 194 when the beet was harvested.

Not all of the beet has gone, as alot of the beet is rotten due to the severe weather, and i don't think the farmer will take it up.

So, i'd been watching the field for almost a week and 7-800 birds were seen happily feeding. I took yesterday off work to have a go. A mate was to join me. The weather forecast was good- bright and with a decent westerly wind blowing.Ideal.

We arrived at just before first light. We made a big hide around a tree and set out a pattern that consisted of dead birds, 2 magnets, 2 turbo flappers, a uksw flapper, fuds, prodecoys and flocked shells.

I expected to have a hectic first hour or two with reasonably big flocks coming in. This wasn't the case. A slow but steady stream of mostly singles and doubles brought the tally to around 40 in the first couple of hours. Then a major lull started. It was as if all the pigeons i'd been seeing all week had suddenly found a new restaurant. But slowly but surely, as the day wore on, more pigeons started to move. A ton looked unlikely,but with a few left and rights with the bag at around seventy we thought we might just do it.

With the bag at 99 we were close to calling it a day,and i was rueing a few silly earlier misses, but a couple of late stragglers made the bag up to 101. It was a long day,but worth it.

post-2090-0-77861300-1296833374.jpg

post-2090-0-04677000-1296833398.jpg