Fly Fishermen look here!

tomaddy525

Hi all. I have been flytying for a couple of years now, and was just wondering if anyone wants to buy any. I tie mainly lures for Rainbows but can also tie buzzers and dry flies. No, they wont all be exactly the same, but the trout dont mind. I catch hundreds of rainbow trout in a year, all on just 5 different waters, all on MY flies. They may not be as neat as some would like but if you are interested PM me. Because they arent all identical they will be near half the price of shop baught ones! Prices vary from different styles. This would be a good way of topping your boxes up. Just PM me if you want more info.

No, they wont all be exactly the same, but the trout dont mind.

:rolleyes: So what you're saying is where you fish they'll take anything you chuck at them?

Tying a pattern the same every time is essential in my book. We try lots of new patterns every year but until one pattern has caught 30 fish it doesn't figure in the fly box. Saying that, most of the fish we catch are on probably 12 patterns and our own variants of them.

Not sure if you've got a FDG near you but they'll help get the consistency - otherwise it's just a case of putting the hours in at the vice. Also good materials are a must - try Dave Downie's stuff which you can order online. His marabou is excellent. http://flyfishingworld.eu

Cheers

Mike

Can you do some deer hair chummers for the carp?

:rolleyes: So what you're saying is where you fish they'll take anything you chuck at them?

Tying a pattern the same every time is essential in my book. We try lots of new patterns every year but until one pattern has caught 30 fish it doesn't figure in the fly box. Saying that, most of the fish we catch are on probably 12 patterns and our own variants of them.

Not sure if you've got a FDG near you but they'll help get the consistency - otherwise it's just a case of putting the hours in at the vice. Also good materials are a must - try Dave Downie's stuff which you can order online. His marabou is excellent. http://flyfishingworld.eu

Cheers

Mike

If you could do them with a size 6/8 (depending on pattern)carp hook, with the deer hair thin'd out a bit towards the point(presents well), light gauge with a turned in point to give good pricking, that would be good, you always get a lot or rejections or sippers!! at 55p I'll take 20 if there good.

I've a few other mates that may want some to!

Just out of interest look up fulling mill bonios, there about the only thing you can buy, hooks are **** and the cut everything away past the shank, but it will give you an idea of what im after

Cheers

Matt

I did kind of specify trout flies but i could have a go at carp fliel i suppose. I will get some photos up soon. Prices roughly: Dries - 55p, Buzzers/Nymphs - 55p, Lures(eg blobs + smaller lures)- 65p, Lures(large eg Zonkers)- 75p. These are PER FLY

post-22784-0-25116000-1297113938.jpg

Just out of interest look up fulling mill bonios, there about the only thing you can buy, hooks are **** and the cut everything away past the shank, but it will give you an idea of what im after

Cheers

Matt

Hi Matt

I'd be interested to hear more about the problems you've had with FM (Hayabusa) hooks? I've used them a fair bit for my own flies and never had a problem - Super Grub and comp heavyweights.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, don't get me wrong I've taken a lot of fish on these, but have also hand many missed takes when the fish are not really on it, I used to get have a guy make my flies with a more adressive pattern with a turned in point and they prooved much better under these conditions, just personal choice I guess but they work for me!

Matt

Hi Matt

I'd be interested to hear more about the problems you've had with FM (Hayabusa) hooks? I've used them a fair bit for my own flies and never had a problem - Super Grub and comp heavyweights.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike, don't get me wrong I've taken a lot of fish on these, but have also hand many missed takes when the fish are not really on it, I used to get have a guy make my flies with a more adressive pattern with a turned in point and they prooved much better under these conditions, just personal choice I guess but they work for me!

Matt

I thought you were going to say you've had some monsters straighten them out. Where do you fish? If you want a day or some info on Bewl give me a shout.

Tight lines

Mike

Been meaning to get up there at some point, just time! I beleive you can do a bit of piking on the fly, cant remember if it a special day thing once a year?

I'm using a trout 6/7 weight, cant imagine I'd have the power in the rod to straighten any hook, lol

Used to fish a couple of local dayticket waters, as all out club lakes you cant get a fly rod into or its to snaggy, the day ticket waters we where fishing ended up kicking us off, dont think they like use catching as many fish as we where, so now fish furnace a bit. Alway keen to find new waters.

Bury at Arundel was a good water for the carp with 20 + ghosty's and nice and local.

Carp on the fly is a devestating method, and the buzz is something else, especialy when you hook into a 20!!

I thought you were going to say you've had some monsters straighten them out. Where do you fish? If you want a day or some info on Bewl give me a shout.

Tight lines

Mike

We catch a lot of pike on the fly at Bewl on anything from boobies to little PTNs. Also occasional tench, perch and rudd. The pike days are at the end of the season but there are some huge fish in there. Had a real monster show itself beneath a trout I was playing last season that wasn't far off 40.

The guys I know use heavily dressed culs for carp and do really well. Much better than the deer hair flies.

Well worth joining Bewl Bridge Fly Fishers for £16 a year for the magazine alone. http://www.bewlbridgeflyfishers.com/